What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor physical drives on HP ML110 with B140i controller

Votes:

HI, I am trying to monitor physical drives on a new HP ML110 G9 (WS2012 R2 Essentials). Two drives are connected to a B140i controller as a mirrored pair.

Ideally, I would have liked to run ESXi (v6, HP version U2, free) but this does not support SNMP nor can it see SMART info from disks in B140i mirror.

As a fallback, I have installed WS2012 R2 Essentials directly onto the ML110 G9. PRTG auto discovery does not see anything deeper than the C: drive (which is implemented by the underlying B140i mirror).

Is there any way I can monitor the health of either the underlying (RAID1) logical volume or the physical disks?

Thanks

David

b140i disk-health ml110-g9

Created on Nov 9, 2016 8:26:25 PM

Last change on Nov 10, 2016 2:07:13 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the reply - which has led me to a solution.

My original post should have mentioned that "HP WBEM Provider for Insight" is not supported (and will not install) under WS 2012 R2 Essentials. This prevented me from using the first batch of sensors you suggested,

The workaround is

1. enable SNMP in the ML110 iLO and use the ILO IP address to provide hardware-ish information about the machine (sensors: HP System Health, Logical Disk and Physical Disk).
  2. register a separate device using the WS 2012 IP address and use that to monitor Disk Free % (on the logical disks that WS 2012 sees with drive letters) .

PRTG sees two devices (with separate IP addresses) for the ML110 G9 but I get all the critical information I was looking for.

Created on Nov 15, 2016 5:15:08 PM

Last change on Nov 16, 2016 7:38:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello David,
thank you for your KB-Post.

This server appears to be a Proliant-family server, correct? In this case, please make sure that the appropriate HP Software and drivers are installed and you'll be able to use all the standard "SNMP HP Proliant" sensors:

If the server has a reachable iLO interface you can create a device in PRTG with the iLo's address (IP or FQDN) and deploy the sensors there instead (after enabling SNMP).

Please refer to Remarks section within each of the sensor's manual pages for more details about the requirements of the sensor.

On a side note, since you've mentioned that you originally intended to use ESXi, there are a couple of sensors that you could use to monitor the host as long as the installed ESXi version fully recognizes the hardware, the logical and physical disks and so on:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 10, 2016 2:13:36 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the reply - which has led me to a solution.

My original post should have mentioned that "HP WBEM Provider for Insight" is not supported (and will not install) under WS 2012 R2 Essentials. This prevented me from using the first batch of sensors you suggested,

The workaround is

1. enable SNMP in the ML110 iLO and use the ILO IP address to provide hardware-ish information about the machine (sensors: HP System Health, Logical Disk and Physical Disk).
  2. register a separate device using the WS 2012 IP address and use that to monitor Disk Free % (on the logical disks that WS 2012 sees with drive letters) .

PRTG sees two devices (with separate IP addresses) for the ML110 G9 but I get all the critical information I was looking for.

Created on Nov 15, 2016 5:15:08 PM

Last change on Nov 16, 2016 7:38:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello David,

thank you very much for the feedback and sharing the workaround.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 16, 2016 7:39:43 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.