What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can not connect to MX servers for address

Votes:

Trying to use 'Direct delivery using built-in email server' to email notifications and getting error like below:

Status sending Email: DNS Server: x.x.x.x E-Mail: "[email protected]". Can not connect to MX servers for address [email protected]. DNS Server: y.y.y.y E-Mail: "[email protected]". Can not connect to MX servers for address [email protected]. (Sensor/Source/ID: 2739/3612/1)

Just need to understand process as new to PRTG and new to company where PRTG is installed.

I can do a nslookup for the MX records for the domain using either DNS server referenced from the PRTG (core) server itself e.g. nslookup -querytype=mx email.com x.x.x.x.

Is the error message indicating that the PRTG in-built email server cannot find any MX records. In which case why could this be when nslookup works at the command line on the PRTG server?

Or does the error message mean the PRTG in-built email server has got the MX records and is trying to talk SMTP to the servers in the MX records and failing. This could be possible as there is a firewall between the PRTG server and the email servers in the MX records.

email notifications prtg

Created on Nov 10, 2016 9:47:36 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

The first one is the case. Are you using a proxy server within this network by any chance? Do any other external mail servers work?

Created on Nov 14, 2016 10:14:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No proxy server within the network. No email server within the network. Discovered that Firewall is blocking SMTP at the moment so nothing can communicate via SMTP to any external mailserver. But would think that the PRTG in-built email server could find the MX records as using nslookup at the command line on the PRTG server gets the MX records OK. So are you sure the message is not because the in-built PRTG email server cannot talk to the servers referenced in the MX records?

Created on Nov 14, 2016 10:40:07 AM

Votes:

Is it possible that there's an antivirus application or firewall installed that blocks PRTG from sending mails?

Created on Nov 14, 2016 12:20:14 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't think there is a firewall on the server blocking PRTG from sending. And I have disabled the anti-virus. nslookup works OK from the server too. What is the best way to test email notification so I can easily generate more emails from PRTG to try and sort this out

Created on Nov 15, 2016 10:34:16 AM

Votes:

Hitting the test button in the notification overview is the only way to generate mails without sensors being down. Really a weird issue, please let me know what you find out! :)

Created on Nov 15, 2016 11:22:57 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have resolved this by using the SMTP option and pointed it to our Office 365 environment.

Created on Nov 16, 2016 4:26:20 PM

Votes:

Glad it's working now :)

Created on Nov 17, 2016 7:57:22 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm a newbie using PRTG, can you tell me the details to solve this?

Created on Oct 6, 2020 5:36:42 PM

Votes:

What exactly is not working? Do you get the same error as the thread starter? Did you already try to point it to a server explicitly?

Created on Oct 7, 2020 6:04:16 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.