What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Auto-discovery AD integration issue

Votes:

I'm trying to configure Auto-Discovery to use AD integration (filtered by OU) but receive the following error:

Error (Bad Request) The validation of at least one of the new objects failed because of the following: Active Directory cannot be accessed for "IP Selection" (Auto discovery setting)

The discovery works fine if I leave the OU field empty. I'm trying to use:

OU=Servers,OU=Infra,DC=removed,DC=removed,DC=removed,DC=removed (this is the distinguisedName field in AD)

The full error given is:

Version: 16.4.27.6720 Server: <removed> URL: addgroup2.htm?id=1&name_=Group+1&tags_=&discoverytype_=1&devicetemplate_=1&devicetemplate_=1&discoveryschedule_=0&ipselectmethod_=5&ipbase_=&iprangebegin_=1&iprangeend_=254&iplist_=&ipsubnet_=&ipoctetrange_=&iplistv6_=&ipou_=OU=Servers,OU=Infra,DC=....,DC=....,DC=..,DC=..&usedns_=1&skipknownips_=1&windowsconnection=0&windowsconnection=1&windowslogindomain_=&windowsloginusername_=&windowsloginpassword_=&linuxconnection=0&linuxconnection=1&linuxloginusername_=&linuxloginmode_=0&linuxloginpassword_=&privatekey_=&wbemprotocol_=https&wbemportmode_=0&wbemport_=5989&sshport_=22&sshelevatedrights_=1&elevationnamesudo_=&elevationnamesu_=&elevationpass_=&sshversion_devicegroup_=2&vmwareconnection=0&vmwareconnection=1&esxuser_=&esxpassword_=&esxprotocol_=0&vmwaresessionpool_=1&dbcredentials=0&dbcredentials=1&usedbcustomport_=0&dbport_=&dbauth_=0&dbuser_=&dbpassword_=&dbtimeout_=60&cloudcredentials=0&cloudcredentials=1&awsak_=&awssk_=&snmpversiongroup=0&snmpversiongroup=1&snmpversion_=V2&snmpcommv1_=public&snmpcommv2_=public&snmpauthmode_=authpHMACMD596&snmpuser_=&snmpauthpass_=&snmpencmode_=DESPrivProtocol&snmpencpass_=&snmpcontext_=&snmpport_=161&snmptimeout_=5&httpproxy=0&httpproxy=1&proxy_=&proxyport_=8080&proxyuser_=&proxypassword_=&accessgroup=0&accessgroup=1&accessrights_=1&accessrights_=1&accessrights_2614=-1&accessrights_2976=-1&accessrights_2533=-1&accessrights_2419=-1&accessrights_2416=-1&accessrights_2493=-1&accessrights_3492=-1&accessrights_201=-1&accessrights_2412=-1

Anyone know how to get past this?

active-directory auto-discovery prtg

Created on Nov 14, 2016 11:19:13 AM

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The correct one would be: Servers,OU=Infra,DC=removed,DC=removed,DC=removed,DC=removed

The OU for the first OU has to be removed, PRTG will find it automatically then. If it doesn't work as well, please also omit all DC items from the string (i.e. only Servers,OU=Infra).

Created on Nov 16, 2016 1:12:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Worked a treat, thanks.

Created on Nov 21, 2016 7:59:50 AM

Votes:

I don't know if it's OK for me to addon to this with the same problem...

We have a situation where the core server is in one domain (contoso.com) and I'm trying to setup a remote probe in another domain (fabrikam.com). However, auto-discovery doesn't work when I specify the OU, using the above syntax. I get the error: •Active Directory cannot be accessed for "IP Selection" (Auto discovery setting)

I've tried both: A,DC=fabrikam,DC=com and A

I have credentials set for Windows Systems in the Remote Probe settings, using my own admin account for testing, which has domain admin rights for fabrikam.com

Is this scenario perhaps not supported by PRTG?

Created on Jan 18, 2017 10:14:15 PM

Votes:

I'll talk with the developer and let you know what he said :)

Created on Jan 19, 2017 1:29:56 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Could you try

A,DC=fabrikam

...without DC=COM at the end?

Created on Jan 19, 2017 1:33:01 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Same error without DC=com at the end. =(

Created on Jan 19, 2017 10:23:23 PM

Votes:

Hm. How about A,DC=fabrikam.com?

Created on Jan 23, 2017 9:12:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

A,DC=fabrikam.com also does not work. Same error. =(

Created on Jan 23, 2017 6:39:47 PM

Votes:

Is your PRTG webinterface available from outside of your network?
Feel free to post the credentials,I won't publish it. Then I can check it out :)

Created on Jan 23, 2017 7:43:12 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 23, 2017 7:43:37 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Our security policies don't permit sharing passwords. Can we setup a screen sharing session perhaps?

Created on Jan 23, 2017 8:53:14 PM

Votes:

Sure. Please open up a ticket with [email protected] and state your time zone + the times when your available within the same :)

Created on Jan 23, 2017 8:59:49 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.