What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

AIX support

Votes:

Hello, we are on a decision point as to which monitoring platform we are about to deploy. The final decision is either PRTG or PandoraFMS.

PandoraFMS PRO: It is free PRO: It supports AIX 5.x, and possibly higher as well CON: It is pro-active, it waits for systems to report in. If that doesn´t happen, it will wait for a timeout period before alarming.

PRTG PRO: It has a very clear dashboard, pretty attractive too PRO: It is a breeze to configure CON: Only free up to 100 monitors CON: Does not support AIX !!!

Especially this lack of AIX support may tip the balance over in the favour of PandoraFMS. So my urgent question to Paessler is this: How soon can we expect AIX support?

Thanks! Jaap.

aix pandorafms prtg

Created on Nov 15, 2016 8:26:46 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Jaap

Please clarify "AIX support". PRTG supports AIX in the sense that most SSH sensors should work on AIX. However, PRTG itself requires a Windows computer.

We offer a mini-probe reference implementation for JMX, and for Phython. The PRTG core server still requires Windows (Wine is not sufficient) and the full remote probe also needs Windows. Before i go into further details, please clarify in which sense you talk about AIX support.

Created on Nov 15, 2016 8:35:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I was referring to another article in the KB that has a closing remark by the Support Team that says "AIX is not supported". I was under the impression that this means that we cannot monitor AIX hosts. The KB also warns that SSH scripts on said AIX may not close / terminate properly.

For us it's important to know: can we safely deploy PRTG, knowing that all our servers (Windows, RHEL, AIX) are properly probed and monitored?

Thanks! Jaap.

Created on Nov 15, 2016 8:41:44 PM

Votes:

Dear Jaap

Thank you for the clarification. We are currently in the process of modernizing our SSH engine which should offer better overall compatibility. However, we mostly test with Ubuntu and some other Linux distributions. The only way to find out if you can monitor your AIX servers would be to use a PRTG trial to try it out.

Created on Nov 15, 2016 9:51:50 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 15, 2016 9:52:14 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.