What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Trial - SNMP HP ProLiant tests - No response....

Votes:

Hi

I have only just installed PRTG this morning and am currently setting up various sensors, so far I am very impressed with ease of use.

I am stuck on trying to add any SNMP HP ProLiant test, it throws up an error message stating

No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003).

On the Hyper-V host I am testing on the sensors on I can load the HP System Management Homepage and it has the WBEM package installed, it also displays all the relevant statuses when browsing the webpage.

I have only installed the WBEM package today and the server has not been rebooted since, will this be the issue?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Cheers

hp prtg snmp

Created on Nov 18, 2016 3:21:34 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2016 8:18:46 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

Probably a reboot will resolve this - do other SNMP sensors, like SNMP Uptime, work properly?

Created on Nov 21, 2016 7:28:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

SNMP Uptime isn't working either, I will take a look at firewall and other things, thanks for the feedback

Created on Nov 21, 2016 3:10:23 PM

Votes:

Alright, let me know if I can be of any further assistance :)

Created on Nov 21, 2016 6:54:45 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Progressing!

I managed to get the SNMP uptime working, however the SNMP HP ProLiant System Health still isn't, the error message is different though

No such object (SNMP error # 222)

Is this going to be an SNMP package I need to install from HP System Manager?

Thanks for your help

Created on Nov 22, 2016 4:14:30 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2016 8:19:04 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

HP Insight Management Agents and HP Insight Management WBEM Providers are installed? Both are necessary. If you have an ILO card, you could also configure its address in the device to see if that works :)

Created on Nov 23, 2016 9:42:45 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes they are both installed, and the HP System Management Homepage works locally to the server and detects all the hardware attached.

Or I think so, nothing actually states "Agent"

I have

• HP Active Health System Log Download CLI
  • HP Insight Diagnostics
  • HP Insight Management WBEM Providers for Windows Server x64
  • HP Lights-Out Online Configuration Utility
  • HP ProLiant Agentless Management Service
  • HP ProLiant iLO 3/4 Management Controller Package
  • HP ProLiant iLO CHIF Driver
  • HP ProLiant Intergrated MAnagement Log Viewer
  • HP RESTful Interface Tool
  • HP Smart Array SAS/SATA Event Notification Service
  • HP Smart Storage Administrator
  • HP Smart Storage Administrator CLI
  • HP System Management Homepage

Should this not work with the above information and SNMP up time working?

I do have under management processor "Integrated Lights Out 4 (iLO 4) (Active)", sorry for the novice question where do I enter the address in the device?

I have the DNS name from the hosts iLO summary, is this what I need to enter in PRTG? If so do you know where?

If I need something else like an Agent do you know if this would come with

HP Systems Insight Manager - Download HP SIM 7.5 for MS Windows?

Any advice on the above would be appreciated.

Created on Nov 23, 2016 3:29:04 PM

Last change on Nov 24, 2016 8:19:51 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Please note that the following is required:

• HP Insight Management WBEM Providers
  • HP Insight Management Agents

You appear to be missing the HP Insight Management Agents.

Q: Should this not work with the above information and SNMP up time working?

While SNMP is working (Windows is responsible for this), the HP Insight Management Agents will extend/enable the windows SNMP Agent to reply to SNMP queries for HP-specific SNMP queries, which at the time result in the "No Such Object" (The windows agent doesn't recognize these OID's by default)

Q: I do have under management processor "Integrated Lights Out 4 (iLO 4) (Active)", sorry for the novice question where do I enter the address in the device? I have the DNS name from the hosts iLO summary, is this what I need to enter in PRTG? If so do you know where?

Please refer to the sensor's remarks: "This sensor type supports monitoring HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) as of iLO version 3. We recommend that you use iLO 4 because this version applies its own dedicated SNMP counters while iLO 3 only forwards SNMP counters from the particular operating system."

The iLo has it's own SNMP agent which is capable to respond to HP-specific queries by default. Please note that the iLo must be connected to the network (reachable) and configured to respond to SNMP Requests. Once you've enabled this, head back to PRTG's Web-interface, create a new device, use the iLo's IP or DNS name and deploy the new device. Make sure that the SNMP Credentials are correct.

After deploying the device, you can either run an auto-discovery or manually add sensors:

• SNMP System Uptime Sensor
  • SNMP HP ProLiant Logical Disk Sensor
  • SNMP HP ProLiant Memory Controller Sensor
  • SNMP HP ProLiant Network Interface Sensor
  • SNMP HP ProLiant Physical Disk Sensor
  • SNMP HP ProLiant System Health Sensor
Q:If I need something else like an Agent do you know if this would come with HP Systems Insight Manager - Download HP SIM 7.5 for MS Windows?

Please beware that we're only able to offer limited support regarding the device's set-up, the devices vendor should be able to provide assistance/documentation regarding the SNMP configuration/set-up of the device. But as far as my personal experience with these servers goes, the following approach works every time:

1. Enable/configured the Windows SNMP Agent
  2. Download/Run the HP Smart Update pack for Proliant servers, which will install all required software and will also extend the SNMP Support once it detects that the Windows SNMP Agent is running.
  3. Make sure to reboot the system/server once the set-up is complete

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 24, 2016 10:17:37 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.