What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Get Trap Messages via API

Votes:

Hi!,

I've created a SNMP Trap receiver, and I'm triying to get the Trap Messages. Is possible get the messages list via an API call? or find this on a location in the disk?

Thanks for repply

snmp trap web-api

Created on Nov 21, 2016 5:44:37 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for using PRTG. Currently it is not possible to gather the Syslog (or Trap) messages via API Call. I will add your request to the according entry on our wish list though for such a feature. Please bear with us.

best regards.

Created on Nov 21, 2016 10:04:42 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for reply :), is possible to get traps message in a log file or in the messages in the historical data?

Created on Nov 21, 2016 3:48:25 PM

Votes:

Sorry, neither of the two is possible.

Created on Nov 21, 2016 4:02:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks

Created on Nov 21, 2016 4:38:58 PM

Votes:

So how do you suggest to make the notifications any useful? Imagine that it will generate an SMS alert which says nothing more than that a trap has been received. You can suggest some other snmp/syslog server which works well with notifications thru PRTG, but please don't say that PRTG cannot be any helpful in this case.

Created on May 6, 2019 3:04:39 PM

Votes:

Well, you could include a link to the according Trap Sensors' Message Tab into your SMS. That should be a start.

Created on May 7, 2019 9:58:44 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Torsten, no, we need something valuable, not a link to a URL.

Created on May 7, 2019 1:05:12 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.