What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Export Syslogs from the PRTG Syslog Sensor

Votes:

I am trying to find the option to export the syslogs collected by the PRTG syslog sensor. Can someone explain where this option is?

prtg sensor syslog

Created on Nov 30, 2016 2:51:49 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, your desired scenario can not be accomplished with PRTG. Please keep in mind that PRTG is not a Syslog analysis software and therefore PRTG can't offer the same extensive features like a dedicated software. Long story short, you're better off using a dedicated tool for syslog monitoring :)

Perhaps we will introduce the Syslog export feature after we finished all the work under the hood, but we can't promise this yet.

A detailed overview of PRTG's Syslog server and its limitations can be found on the following website: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/153

Created on Nov 30, 2016 9:04:01 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 2, 2019 10:48:44 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am also looking to export, or just send, PRTG "events" to our regular Kiwi Syslog Server that we use for all of our other systems. Am I to understand that it's not possible yet?

If so, can this option be added?

Is so, when?

Created on Dec 27, 2016 8:16:12 PM

Votes:

Hi,

No, this is possible. The initial request was about the export for syslogs collected by PRTG (as PDF or TXT). But you are able to send notifications in form of syslogs to other servers. To use this, you have to enable "Send Syslog Message" in one configured notification (Setup > Account Settings > Notifications).

Created on Dec 28, 2016 5:26:37 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.