What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do I set Limits for available disk space.

Votes:

I am new with an employer and they are using PRTG and I am equally new to PRTG, I have been given some sites to configure, I have added the Virtual and phisical Servers but My concern is on the setting of Limits, the Lower warning limit, the Upper warning Limit e.t.c... a situation I have total Capacity of 3TB of LUN assiagned to an ERP cluster on a SAN, how do I set the limits so that if it gets below 25% available disk space a warning and Alarm would be sent.

diskspace limits threshholds

Created on Dec 8, 2016 7:40:20 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Frank

Which sensor type exactly are you using?

Created on Dec 8, 2016 12:05:17 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Arne,

the sensor type is 'Disk Free'

Created on Dec 8, 2016 1:43:51 PM

Votes:

Dear Frank

Please provide the full sensor type label (like SSH Disk Free) because PRTG has different types of disk free sensors.

Created on Dec 8, 2016 2:53:02 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 8, 2016 2:53:31 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne, it is 'wmidiskspacesensor'.....

Thanks.

Created on Dec 8, 2016 3:01:49 PM

Votes:

Dear Frank

This sensor is a bit different to most other sensors, because it has two places to set percentage limits:

• As usual, in each channel
  • And also via the sensor setting The latter will be applied for all channels. Channel limits don't override the sensor limits, whichever triggers the worst state determines the sensor status.

You can either configure each channel, or if one limit is good for all drives, use the sensor settings to set the limits. Please note that the evaluation is always "smaller than" or "greater than", not "smaller or equal" or "greater or equal". If you set the lower limit to 25, the 25% disk free will not yet trigger the status. Any number lower though will.

Created on Dec 8, 2016 3:31:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry it is not this 'wmidiskspacesensor' it is VMware Datastore (SOAP) Monitors Disk usage and accessibility of a VMware datastore using SOAP....but the above still make sense to me since my challange is how to set limits.

Thanks.

Created on Dec 8, 2016 3:48:11 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.