What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Trap Not Collecting

Votes:

I am trying to set up a Trap for a UPS on PRTG Network Monitor 12.2.1.1881. The device has SNMP v1 but works mostly on traps to send power off and power restore events.

I have created the trap on the main probe of PRTG itself.

Probe Sensor

Please see the settings configured (please note I have tried OID :1.3.6.1.4.1.2254.2.4.20 in accordance with the Wireshark results shown further below and OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.32446.1.1.4, as suggested by this page Testing SNMP Trap (topic 10193), as I am using < 14.x)

Trap Settings

Please see also the configuration set on the device itself:

UPS Settings

The device has the ability to do a simulated event such as a power off. By doing this I am able to see within Wireshark the packets are received and from here also see what I believe should be the OID: Wireshark

Using Netstat I can check for port 162. It seems to be correct, although not listening (please see also the task manager screenshot in the same image), however surely if the packets arrive to Wireshark then they are not being blocked at the Firewall and should arrive at the trap as expected.. Wireshark

Any more information I can give please let me know.

Regards

snmp snmp-trap snmptraps trap

Created on Dec 9, 2016 4:33:15 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

I am trying to set up a Trap for a UPS on PRTG Network Monitor 12.2.1.1881. The device has SNMP v1 but works mostly on traps to send power off and power restore events.

I have created the trap on the main probe of PRTG itself.

Probe Sensor

Please see the settings configured (please note I have tried OID :1.3.6.1.4.1.2254.2.4.20 in accordance with the Wireshark results shown further below and OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.32446.1.1.4, as suggested by this page Testing SNMP Trap (topic 10193), as I am using < 14.x)

Trap Settings

Please see also the configuration set on the device itself:

UPS Settings

The device has the ability to do a simulated event such as a power off. By doing this I am able to see within Wireshark the packets are received and from here also see what I believe should be the OID: Wireshark

Using Netstat I can check for port 162. It seems to be correct, although not listening (please see also the task manager screenshot in the same image), however surely if the packets arrive to Wireshark then they are not being blocked at the Firewall and should arrive at the trap as expected.. Wireshark

Any more information I can give please let me know.

Regards

Created on Dec 12, 2016 9:04:22 AM

Votes:

Dear jonpaulh

Please contact [email protected] with this issue and include full-screen images (no crops) of the PRTG interface, showing

• the sensor overview tab
  • the sensor live data graph tab
  • the sensor logs tab
  • the sensor settings tab.

Created on Dec 12, 2016 10:28:36 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.