What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding Users to User Groups

Votes:

So we create a group thru the web console and it has rights to an AD user group. How can I get members to populate into the user group on PRTG?

groups prtg user

Created on Dec 12, 2016 4:33:30 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Once you have created a group in PRTG that resembles the corresponding AD group, their members can simply log into PRTG using their AD credentials. Make sure that they only use the username, not the <domain>\<username> syntax.

Created on Dec 12, 2016 7:22:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. Not exactly what I was looking for. My fault, let me provide more details.

We have a sensor that needs to alert three people. All three are users in PRTG. I created a Notifications Group for the three users from the Enterprise Console. From the Web console, created a User Group with a different name than the AD Group but linked the two. What I need is to get the three members assigned to the User Group for emails, right? And how do I accomplish that?

Created on Dec 12, 2016 7:43:53 PM

Votes:

When you create a new notification, in the mail section, you can define what user, user group and/or mail address should receive the notifications. When you configure the group to one where all three are members of, all three of them should receive the mail, given the mail addresses are configured in AD:

Created on Dec 12, 2016 8:25:16 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does the user need to first login to the web console to get the updated users added to the Group? I see two names in there and not three as it should be.

Created on Dec 12, 2016 8:30:44 PM

Votes:

Correct, every group change in the AD has to be accommodated by a login into PRTG to sync the group updates to it.

Created on Dec 12, 2016 8:43:30 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.