What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Use PRTG to monitor my microsoft sql database server

Votes:

Hello

I need an urgent help from you guys I would like to know how to use my PRTG to monitor microsoft sql db server. What are the components that would be monitored ? can it be used for disk space monitoring or performance etc...

Regards Lindy

prtg snmp wmi

Created on Dec 13, 2016 12:19:07 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear lindy

Beside the one sensor I linked in the first reply, we don't have dedicated sensors for SQL database metrics. The script linked in the other reply is an example how further information can be read.

You can expect the current PRTG sensors here.

Created on Dec 20, 2016 1:05:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 20, 2016 1:06:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear Lindy

There is a sensor which shows at least some information, please find its documentation here. Similar sensors for older SQL Server versions are available as well.

If you want to monitor the disk space of the computer itself, you can use a generic Windows disk sensor.

Created on Dec 13, 2016 9:30:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 14, 2016 10:57:37 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Dear

I wanted to know how to use the PRTG to monitor my sql Database Server... I would like to monitor the log file size of my database, monitor my database performance,monitor the size of the database and have alerts in case the database goes down. Is all these achievable with PRTG?kindly provide details about all these if you can

Regards Lindy

Created on Dec 14, 2016 6:15:03 AM

Votes:

Dear Lindy

To monitor such statistics, you need to write the according SQL statements. Since those can be different for different SQL databases, we have no full reference for that. However you might fight this example helpful.

Created on Dec 14, 2016 10:58:54 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 14, 2016 11:01:05 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

you mean there are different sensors for different monitoring e.g one for performance and another one for disk space monitoring could you confirm this for me?

Regards Lindy

Created on Dec 20, 2016 11:57:11 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear lindy

Beside the one sensor I linked in the first reply, we don't have dedicated sensors for SQL database metrics. The script linked in the other reply is an example how further information can be read.

You can expect the current PRTG sensors here.

Created on Dec 20, 2016 1:05:30 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 20, 2016 1:06:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

One more clarification what is the purpose of Sensors monitoring database performance? is it only for monitoring performance and not disk space and log verification?

Regards Lindy

Created on Dec 23, 2016 5:41:23 AM

Votes:

Dear lindy,

Yes, your assumption is correct. PRTG offers different sensors for different monitoring purposes. Please use additional sensors to monitor the disk space or log verification. Please find an overview of the sensors which are currently available here.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Dec 26, 2016 10:11:13 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.