What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PowerEdge 2950 - Can't install Dell PowerEdge System Health Sensor

Votes:

I know that my title sounds like a repeat, but I have scoured the Knowledge base and I cannot seem to find a solution or pinpoint my problem.

• I've added a Dell PowerEdge 2950 (Windows 2008 r2) as a device and I have added 7 sensors without issue.
  • I have tried to add the "PowerEdge System Health Sensor" and I cannot add the sensor.
  • I have downloaded the SNMP tester utility and the basic "uptime" test fails as well for snmp v1, 2 and 3.
  • I have checked the SNMP service settings on the server and have confirmed that everything has been configured (community, destination, etc).
  • I have updated OpenManage Server Administrator to 7.4 on the server and I've confirmed that SNMP traps are checked for every item.
  • I've checked the firewall to confirm the necessary exceptions. Would anyone with time to kill be able to provide troubleshooting guidance?

poweredge-2950 snmp system-health-sensor

Created on Dec 13, 2016 11:59:11 PM

Last change on Dec 14, 2016 11:21:31 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello JrTech,
thank you for your KB Post.

I have downloaded the SNMP tester utility and the basic "uptime" test fails as well for snmp v1, 2 and 3.

Windows only supports SNMP V1 and V2c, so you can leave the V3 tests out. But essentially if the SNMP uptime query failed, something is wrong with SNMP, most likely the setup. Since the SNMP Dell PowerEdge System Health Sensor sensor is SNMP-Based, it won't work.

Please note that there's a setting of the SNMP Agent called "Accept SNMP packets from these hosts". Please make sure to set it to "Accept SNMP packets from any host". If you want to be conservative, set it to "Accept SNMP packets from these hosts" and enter the FQDN/IP/Name of the PRTG Server from where the SNMP Queries will come.

Keep in mind that this is the Probe under which the sensor will be deployed, not necessarily the Core Server's address.

The upper highlighted section of the screenshot (referring to traps) can be ignored.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Dec 14, 2016 11:28:38 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Dec 14, 2016 11:29:38 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. After further research, I found that I needed to perform an additional command line script on the server to finalize the snmp configuration.

Created on Dec 14, 2016 6:55:43 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.