What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Pls., share with me a custom script to manage these Storage Arrays & Tape Library; Infortrend EonSto

Votes:

Greetings,

Can I get a custom script to monitor Infortrend EonStorDS 4000 Series HMN v1.6, EonStorDS 3000 Series HMN v1.2 and ESDS 4000 Series QIG v1.6 and Quantum i500 Tape Library?

Best Regards. Frank.

raid-array san tape-library-

Created on Dec 14, 2016 1:55:32 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi Frank,

I am afraid that we don't have any custom script for the mentioned device. Perhaps the device offer SNMP or SNMP-Traps?

Created on Dec 15, 2016 1:03:59 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Dariusz,

Thank you for your response, how do you mean by SNMP-Traps? at least I know SNMP.

I saw a lot of custom scripts on these forum written to run on the Storage System Command Line interface for different storage solutions including EMC Storage Arrays and HP EVA, in the same vein, I am asking if there is one from any member of this forum to share with me or any from the support group. And can I edit an existing Script from this forum for my Infortrend Storage systems and add neccessary parameters including Infortrend Command Line Interface.

Best Regards.

Frank O.

Created on Dec 15, 2016 1:38:48 PM

Votes:

Hi Frank,

Perhaps the device is able to send SNMP-Traps, these traps can be monitored via the SNMP Trap Receiver in PRTG.

Additionally, I don't think that it is that easy to just adapt a custom script of another storage system as the management or command line interface, which your device may offer, differs from other.

Created on Dec 15, 2016 1:59:55 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, I know it is not easy, but my point is, if I download my own Storage System (Infortrend EonStorDS 4000 Series HMN v1.6) Command Line Interface and install and configure it on my PRTG Probe System, and edit the EMC Custom Script to reporting on physical disks for health/failure/rebuilding, you can now also display the free space in all storage pools, and the free space/health of all LUNs.

Thanks.

Frank O.

Created on Dec 15, 2016 2:57:26 PM

Votes:

Hi Frank,

Sure, that will work, if the command line interface does offer those statistics in a way to be processed by the script. But I guess you could also build a complete new script rather than using the original EMC script as I am sure that there are huge differences.

Basically, all you have to do is to check which statistics does the command line interface of your storage offer. Afterwards you have to build a script around which processes the data and displays it in PRTG. The custom sensor documentation can be found in your PRTG webinterface under "/api.htm?tabid=7".

Created on Dec 15, 2016 3:14:34 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz,

Thanks for the giudelines, I'm already on the PRTG API. I am not really into scripting, but if I see one that is closely related to my case study, I can edit it to suite my storage system, but I would appriciate if you can giude me on scripting or if any of your collegues can assist. As for if my storage system CLI offer similar statistics, yes, those parameters are mostly common to all storage systems.

Best Regards,

Frank O.

Created on Dec 15, 2016 3:38:37 PM

Votes:

Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, we can't offer any custom scripting support or assistance. The reason is that we are unable to test or debug the script as we don't have any knowledge about this Storage System. We can only assists you with the right output or errors produced by PRTG but anything else falls in your responsibility. But just a few more hints:

• keep in mind to change the Script-Execution Policy on the PRTG Core Server or the Remote Probe (depending on where script should run)
  • use the "Write EXE Result to Disk" option within the EXE/Script Sensor settings to see what errors may occur (the logs are stored on the according probe's system under "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs(Sensors)\")
  • use the API Documentation for Custom Sensors
  • take a look at the Guide for PowerShell based sensors

Created on Dec 16, 2016 9:12:22 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 30, 2018 10:19:21 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz,

at least, the tips can guide me, thanks, if I have issues along i will let you know.

Thanks.

Best Regards.

Frank O.

Created on Dec 16, 2016 12:37:34 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.