What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setting a State to Down when States are not acending

Votes:

I have a Peplink Balance router that has the following states:

• disabled(1)
  • disconnected(2)
  • connected(3)
  • connecting(4)
  • activating(5)
  • health-check-failed(6)
  • disconnected-manually(7)

A down state is either 2 or 6 and a warning is 1, 4, 5 and 7.

How can I have PRTG determine these states so I can get notifications. At the moment I have one link with state (6) and its is reporting as UP and all ok.

custom-lookup lookups notifications snmp

Created on Dec 14, 2016 3:20:53 PM

Last change on Dec 15, 2016 12:21:54 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

The "Limit-based alerts" are intended for use with "tresholds" for properties like free space, bandwidth and so on. In these cases the Warning and Error Upper/Lower limits make a lot of sense.

For "State" based alerts, we've devised something called Lookups and is the perfect use case for lookups. Please refer to the following thread which describes how to set-up lookups:

If you've deployed the sensor using a "known OID" (in contrast to importing the MIB/oidlib file(s)), the main difference will be that you'll need to create the lookup "from scratch", in contrast to importing the MIB when PRTG will already deploy an "empty" lookup which only needs to be adjusted.

Please let me know if you need further assistance with the set-up.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Dec 15, 2016 12:27:57 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Perfect. I watched the video too and it was very easy from there. Loved that the MIB importer created the lookup file and that I wasn't forced to write xml :)

Created on Dec 16, 2016 3:44:54 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.