What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VLANs for sflow sensor

Votes:

I just installed version 16.4.27.7140 x64, and looking at the Sflow screens, which I really like (nice work)

Is it possible to get VLAN info from the Sflow sensor.

It appears from reading the forums that VLAN might only be available with Netflow, it does not show VLAN in the list of filters for the sflow sensor, but in my case I only have sflow and need to get the VLAN.

Thanks for any help

Simon

netflow sflow vlan

Created on Dec 15, 2016 5:21:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Simon,

sFlow sensor does currently not support VLAN information, see also overview of additional fields for each flow type. I'm not sure if sFlow 5 supports those fields at all like sourcevlan and destinationvlan or something similar that would be required to accomplish this.

You could run a Wireshark trace on the probe system that receives the flows to look directly into the flowdata to see which data is being delivered and if those flow packets contain further vlan related details besides " I'm a vlan packet (but I won't tell where I came from and where I was headed to)".

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 19, 2016 11:37:51 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 19, 2016 11:38:52 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

VLAN is part of the header in the sflow records for each sample.

See the picture below, I took these from a wireshark for some sflow records

inmonsflow

inmonsflowvlan

Created on Dec 19, 2016 6:01:04 PM

Last change on Dec 20, 2016 6:45:04 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Simon,

Could you send us the trace file from Wireshark to have a look at it? Send it to [email protected] with subject VLANs for sflow sensor (Case PAE800042). That way it stays "connected" to this thread.

Thank you & Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 20, 2016 6:58:53 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.