What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Move probe and its devices/sensors to a new server?

Votes:

Hello there,

We presently outsource our PRTG implementation but the remote probe for our company is on-premise and under our control. If I stood up a new PRTG core, is there a way to "repoint" our remote probe to that new core server and have it maintain the devices and sensors? We have over 2500 and don't want to have to add them back. We could live with losing the history. Thanks.

core migrate prtg

Created on Dec 28, 2016 7:53:34 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Kyle,

The thing is that remote probes store no sensor data or further configuration details (besides how to connect to the core server), because that is all stored on the core server.

So if you migrate the core server to a different machine and keep all the settings (e.g. by following this guide), all you need to do is configuring the new hostname/IP of the PRTG server in the Remote Probe's administration tool.

See also: How PRTG Network Monitor Stores its Data

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 29, 2016 10:15:56 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

My issue is that I have no access to the current core server as it is managed by the service provider and they won't give us the configuration as it's multi-tenant with other customers. So it appears this will be a manual migration.

Created on Dec 29, 2016 2:05:36 PM

Votes:

Ok, I see, in this case the service provider also has his own already existing configuration file and the culprit here is that you cannot merge one config into another one (neither fully nor partially). So in this case I'm afraid the only option is to add the devices newly from scratch with their sensors as soon as the remote probe is connected and you get access to that part of the device tree (or the service provider needs to do this then).

Created on Dec 29, 2016 2:13:51 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.