What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Autoupdate: Error while downloading update (HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden)

Votes:

Is updatecheck.paessler.com having issues again?

Went to check auto-update status this morning after the Christmas break and I'm seeing this error logged.

auto-update prtg update

Created on Jan 3, 2017 9:18:26 AM

Last change on Jan 3, 2017 12:33:37 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I've been able to spend a little more time on this today and have managed to resolve it.

We use a Fortigate firewall and a custom web-filter to permit access to amazon hosted sites (to avoid IP changes causing failure).
As of now it seems that downloads.paessler.com (not just download.paessler.com per the AutoUpdate documentation you referenced) requires adding to the web filter as a permitted override, otherwise the reported failure will occur.

Thanks for the assist. You may wish to update the relevant documentation.

Created on Jan 4, 2017 9:31:51 AM

Last change on Jan 4, 2017 10:23:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your inquiry.

It should be working. What happens if you press the "Check For Latest Update and Download" button?

Please also head to Setup > PRTG Status and check whenever your PRTG Instance is activated and has valid software maintenance.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jan 3, 2017 12:36:55 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Status shows as valid FREEWARE (Trial expired) Activation OK.

Check for Latest Update and Download returns:

"[03/01/2017 12:44:11] Autoupdate: Error while downloading update (HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden)"

No firewall changes made at this end, and nothing meaningful in our logs to suggest required traffic was blocked. I tried permitting all external HTTP & HTTPS traffic from/to the PRTG Server and the same failure occurred.

Last PRTG update was successfully performed 22nd November 2016 to v16.4.27.7140.

I wondered whether it was a re-occurrence of:

Created on Jan 3, 2017 12:55:56 PM

Last change on Jan 4, 2017 6:08:28 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

That's really odd. We're however not seeing any similar report at this time.

May I ask what PRTG Version you currently have installed?

Please also let me know the two ending blocks of your trial/freeware key, I will remove it before I publish your reply.

Best Regards,

Created on Jan 4, 2017 6:10:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Key:XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX-XXXXXX
Version:16.4.27.7140
Activation Status:Activation OK.
Current Activation Stamp16.4.-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX
Last update attempt:[04/01/2017 08:02:34] Autoupdate: Error while downloading update (HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden)

Created on Jan 4, 2017 8:05:23 AM

Last change on Jan 4, 2017 8:45:55 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello and thank you for your reply,

There are no issues whatsoever with the license/activation.

• Are you behind a proxy?
  • Is there any sort of firewall that could be blocking this connection? Maybe an antivirus with "Network and Firewall" capabilities?

We don't have any similar reports nor are we able to reproduce this ourselves. You might want to give wireshark a try (and use the check for updates button and then check for network activity), it could tell you more about what's going on. Here's the list of ports/url's used by PRTG:

Alternatively, (but I assume you would like to resolve the issue instead of circumventing it) would be to download the installer and update manually. You can get it here:

Best Regards,

Created on Jan 4, 2017 8:51:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I've been able to spend a little more time on this today and have managed to resolve it.

We use a Fortigate firewall and a custom web-filter to permit access to amazon hosted sites (to avoid IP changes causing failure).
As of now it seems that downloads.paessler.com (not just download.paessler.com per the AutoUpdate documentation you referenced) requires adding to the web filter as a permitted override, otherwise the reported failure will occur.

Thanks for the assist. You may wish to update the relevant documentation.

Created on Jan 4, 2017 9:31:51 AM

Last change on Jan 4, 2017 10:23:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your feedback.

This is great to hear. I've added it to the documentation, thank you for the input.

Best Regards,

Created on Jan 4, 2017 10:59:18 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.