What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't create SNMP Library sensor

Votes:

I am trying to add an SNMP Library sensor to an Eaton UPS. I have downloaded the MIB file from Eaton, imported it with the Paessler MIB Importer, and the oidlib file shows up in the snmplibs folder on the server.

When I select SNMP Library as the sensor to add, the Eaton oidlib file that I added shows up in the list. But when I select it, PRTG responds with:

Could not create the sensor SNMP Library on device.... No Access (SNMP error # 6)

What does this mean? I have Googled this with no success.

Thanks, Dave

prtg snmp snmp-library

Created on Jan 5, 2017 8:54:18 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Dave,

Please use our SNMP Tester, run it on the PRTG Host (or host of the Remote Probe), and perform a "Read Device Uptime" against the target device. Which results do you get in the Tester?

Created on Jan 6, 2017 12:56:56 PM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Whoops, please disregard my previous post. The device is actually set to SNMP v1, not v2c. When I run the SNMP Tester using v1, it succeeds:

1/6/2017 12:05:15 PM (14 ms) : Start using SNMP V1 1/6/2017 12:05:15 PM (23 ms) : ------- 1/6/2017 12:05:15 PM (26 ms) : Value: 241481007 1/6/2017 12:05:15 PM (30 ms) : Done

But when I run SNMP Tester on the OIDLIB file, I get an error:

XML Parser mismatch: Wanted <and then a lot of binary gibberish>

The OIDLIB file looks OK to me:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <oidlist> <system> <version> 2 </version> </system> <list> <entry> <name> EATON-EMP-MIB|xups environment|xups env remote temp </name> <lookupname/> <oid> 1.3.6.1.4.1.534.1.6.5.0 </oid> ...etc.

Created on Jan 6, 2017 5:13:11 PM

Votes:

Hi David,

Please provide the "<and then a lot of binary gibberish>" information as it is quite necessary to troubleshoot this issue. You can paste both the "gibberish" and the OID-Lib on Pastebin if it is too long.

Created on Jan 9, 2017 9:29:43 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Unfortunately the message is in a Windows dialog box that doesn't let me copy the text, but here's a screenshot of the entire message:

error text

The oidlib file is here on Pastebin: http://pastebin.com/QaWPHfXJ

Dave

Created on Jan 9, 2017 4:59:41 PM

Votes:

Dear David,

Please copy the content of the OIDLIB file and paste it in a new and fresh text file. Afterwards change the extension to ".oidlib". Now check if the SNMP Tester is throwing the same error. I assume that this is an encoding issue.

Created on Jan 9, 2017 10:33:05 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Answer of the customer:

Copying and pasting the file contents into a new OIDLIB file results in: 1/10/2017 4:17:17 PM Start Scan Found OIDs: No OIDs found

That means that the device does not support the OIDs you are trying to query. So basically the MIB you are trying to use against the target device is not supported by the target device. Maybe the vendor of the device can help you further into finding the correct MIB.

Created on Jan 11, 2017 11:00:08 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.