What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Updates Status - The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found

Votes:

I am attempting to use this sensor type "Windows Updates Status (Powershell)" for the first time, however I'm having difficulty getting it to work.

PRTG 16.4.28.7352 Probe and target are in different domains, but with a trust between both. Device has domain credentials for the target domain set properly. User specified has local admin permissions on target. Port 5985 is open between probe and target (tested with telnet). Probe has .NET 4.6 Both probe and target have Powershell 4

What am I missing?

powershell prtg windows-update-status

Created on Jan 12, 2017 7:44:42 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Peter

This sensor does not work cross domains, I am sorry. Please setup a remote probe in the target domain and put the Windows Update Status sensor there.

Created on Jan 13, 2017 12:26:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wanted to post my findings on this as it took hours to figure out. I was able to make this sensor work cross-domain.

You have to format your windows credentials a little different in the settings for the sensor.

Instead of formatting it with domain\username as you would for most sensors, clear out the domain field, and in the username field format it like: username@domain

Hope this is helpful, thanks

Created on Oct 31, 2017 2:25:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.