What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

dose PRTG try to scan all the device's port 3389 in the network by default?

Votes:

i have installed PRTG demo version in my VM merchine last friday. after testing i shutdown the program and kill the process in the windows Task Manager. today, when i came back to my office, my security app detect PRTG still working and keep scan my network devices port 3389. it seams like a virus attack. i worried about my remain device security, so i uninstall PRTG.

would you please kindly explain why PRTG keep to scan all other device port 3389 in the LAN. i have check some information in the internet, it work like RDP sensor function, however i have never testing and active this sensor in PRTG.

port-3389 security virus

Created on Jan 16, 2017 3:49:06 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

When initially installed, PRTG does indeed do a scan of your network, the so called Smart Setup. It first pings all devices in the same subnet and does a portscan on all "important" ports that users probably want to monitor, including 3389, which is the port for the Remote Desktop Protocol.

However, if both PRTG services (PRTG Core Server Service and PRTG Probe Service), there should've been no scans. Is there a timestamp of when the scan occurred? Long story short, it's nothing to worry about ;)

Created on Jan 16, 2017 7:56:25 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. is there any entry for me to set up the default active action? Since we may have lots of important host in the same subnet, unknown scaning action in the network may brought us confusion about the security issue. It will be much appreciated PRTG can do just what I ask.

Any material is welcome. Thank you. Hope to hear you back.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 8:12:24 AM

Votes:

In order to stop PRTGs scanning activity, simply delete the group "Network Discovery" in PRTGs webinterface. This will stop it from discovering your network. Then you can start creating it manually.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 8:29:54 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.