What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Best "Ping Sensor" settings monitoring an internet connection.

Votes:

Hi,

What are the best practice settings for the ping sensor to monitor an connection

Ping Method - Send multiple Ping requests Ping Count - ?? Ping Delay (in ms) - ??

What should I put on the "??" ?

Thnx.

connection packet-loss ping-sensor

Created on Jan 16, 2017 8:00:15 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Werner,

Sorry, forgot about that. :) You can set it down to 30s. Please use this scanning interval only for ping and for a couple of sensors, not all.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 10:21:07 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

This hardly depends on how extensive you want to monitor the connection. To check basic availability use the "Send one single Ping" method. To monitor the ping times mor detailed by sending multiple packets, use the "Send multiple Ping request" option. The ping count is the option to set the pings sent in one interval (default is 5). The ping delay sets the delay between each ping, the default value is 5ms. You can read about all the settings of the ping sensor on this page.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 9:43:39 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey,

Pretty extensive, I wanne know when there is an interruption or packet loss.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 9:48:38 AM

Votes:

Hi Werner,

Then the following settings should work:

• Timeout: 5
  • Packet Size: 32
  • Send multiple Ping requests
  • Ping Count: 10
  • Ping Delay: 1
  • Show "Down" status on error (default)

Afterwards, navigate into the channel settings of the "Packet Loss" channel, enable and set your desired limits (e.g. Warning: 10%, Error: 50%).

Created on Jan 16, 2017 9:56:11 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz,

What should I do with the sensor scanning interval leave it to 5 min?

Created on Jan 16, 2017 10:13:54 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Werner,

Sorry, forgot about that. :) You can set it down to 30s. Please use this scanning interval only for ping and for a couple of sensors, not all.

Created on Jan 16, 2017 10:21:07 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thx :)

Created on Jan 16, 2017 10:23:13 AM

Votes:

Hello.

Can you explain how this works in practice so far that it will generate an alarm?

Where does the check interval affect the cycle of the settings mentioned above?

Can you explain with a practical example so that I can understand?

In Brazil the links are very bad and the PRTG generates a lot of alarm. I need to reduce these number of alarms, but avoid waiting for too long the full scan cycle.

Thank you.

Created on Nov 20, 2018 1:36:08 AM

Votes:

Hi Sandro,

Could you further describe what you mean? Do you want to know how the scanning interval affects the following settings?

• Timeout: 5
  • Packet Size: 32
  • Send multiple Ping requests
  • Ping Count: 10
  • Ping Delay: 1
  • Show "Down" status on error (default)

Best regards.

Created on Nov 20, 2018 9:28:04 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.