What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring different exchange queue

Votes:

Hi, I would like to monitor the queue for different exchange delivery type. It is very much like what the Queue Viewer on the native exchange server would display. IE I have a exchange server within the same AD at another location and I would like to monitor the queue that is going to that particular exchange server. Is there a way to do so? Currently I have tried using the native sensors but the result in which it return is a lump sum. Pls advise. Thanks

exchange-2013 prtg queuename

Created on Jan 18, 2017 9:29:04 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

Dear benjigoh

Are you talking about the Exchange Mail Queue sensor, or about the WMI Exchange Transport Queue sensor?

Created on Jan 18, 2017 4:18:17 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

We have created 1 sensor for Exchange Mail Queue (which I believe is using powershell) and a few sensor using WMI Exchange Transport Queue. However all the sensors are showing the value as combined and our aim to to monitor the value base on individual connectors if possible. IE. SMTP Relay to Mailbox Delivery Group, SMTP Delivery to Mailbox etc.

Thanks

Created on Jan 19, 2017 7:18:49 AM

Votes:

Dear benjigoh

I am sorry, the PRTG Exchange sensors only show the summary. We currently have no plans to expand these sensors, as most users are fine with the current sensor featureset of the Exchange sensors.

Created on Jan 19, 2017 2:40:57 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 19, 2017 2:47:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

The reason we are asking is that we have a few exchange server spread across the globe with our site as the main exchange. When the email reaches us, it will be distributed accordingly to the respective exchanges in our AD. With this, when the exchange on the other sites is having issue receiving those emails, it will be queued on our exchange. Therefore when this happens, PRTG will hit the threshold we have set using the default sensors causing it to sent us an alert. As the issue is not on our exchange server, it became like a false positive for us, activating our resources. Hence it would be good if we can monitor the delivery accordingly so that respective IT can receive the warnings accordingly.

Is there any possible solution or workaround for this?

Thanks

Created on Jan 20, 2017 3:35:40 AM

Votes:

Dear benjigoh

There is no workaround, I am sorry. If we see high demand for a more detailed look into the Exchange queues, we might rework the sensor. So far, the demand is quite low.

Created on Jan 20, 2017 3:55:06 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We would have almost the same need, we would like to identify some queue problems and get an alarm if the max entries in queue would reach, for example 50 or 100. So we would get an alarm notification if more than 50 emails stuck in the queue and we have to check what happened.

Until now I can't see any possibility to do this with the current version of the sensor.

Created on Dec 1, 2017 3:10:31 PM

Votes:

Dear wayne7215,

you open the channel for "Queued Mails" and set an error limit in order to create an alarm status if that number is exceeded.

Created on Dec 1, 2017 3:39:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.