What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Random sensor status - The RPC server is unavailable

Votes:

Hey everyone, happy new year!

Somehow I keep getting sensor status DOWN (The RPC server is unavailable), but is totally random. Sensor shows good, and change to bad, back to good, and back to bad. Only one sensor, the others sensors it's OK.

PRTG shows sensor is down, but when try WMI tester it's all good.

This image will help: https://postimg.org/image/oxqulj927/

This issue happens to any server and any sensor, is totally random

prtg rpc

Created on Jan 19, 2017 1:36:56 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

More random sensor status: http://imgur.com/maxKErh

Created on Jan 19, 2017 4:30:14 PM

Votes:

Hi Reynaldo,

Happy New Year to you too.

Yes, those issues can be very intermittent, that's why it can switch between up and down. You could also run in many cases a manual sensor scan shortly after such an error and it will be most likely successful as in WMI Tester.

Generally for RPC issues this is a good resource as a starting point. For further investgation on our end it would be best if you would send us a Support Bundle.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 20, 2017 9:19:30 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, Thanks for your reply. About that good resource as a starting point I already saw and did some troubleshooting. It's all good with DNS, services, firewall, route, IP, anti-virus, sharing, registry even server clock...

The most weird part is, sensor was working perfectly since first installation. Somehow something changed last November, i think.

I'll send you a Support Bundle.

Best regards, Reynaldo

Created on Jan 20, 2017 12:00:47 PM

Votes:

I would be interested in the outcome of this as I too am seeing the same problem. As yet I have been unable to pin it down. The WMI tester works fine but PRTG looses it's ability to take WMI for some sensors.

Created on Feb 1, 2017 3:34:38 PM

Votes:

Hi Dan,

There are currently issues regarding WMI-based sensors we're working on. Send us a support bundle to see how we can help in your particular case.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 2, 2017 2:59:40 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, I am currently dealing with your colleague Stephan on another, but now seemingly related, issue.

Created on Feb 2, 2017 3:19:12 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.