What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Primary User Group

Votes:

A user is a member of several AD groups and his primary user group only has read access. Is there a way to change his primary group so he can have read/write access?

change primary-user-group user-groups

Created on Jan 20, 2017 6:06:47 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

The primary group is basically just the group that comes first in the alphabetical order of the groups. Read/Write permissions always outweigh read permissions. That said, if the user is within a group that has r/o permissions for an object, but is member of a group with r/w permissions for an object, he should be able to modify that. Can you check that out? :)

Created on Jan 23, 2017 6:51:50 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this still the case in the latest stable release (18.1.37.xxxx)

Created on Feb 28, 2018 10:20:38 AM

Votes:

Hi Craig,

What exactly are you referring to?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 28, 2018 10:37:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Similar question (although this is about 'Read' vs 'None', not 'Read' vs 'Read/Write'):

User is member of multiple groups in PRTG (via connected AD groups).

On specific sensors:
One group has Read rights, the other group has None rights (chosen for giving groups None rights, to keep their PRTG view clean; them not seeing sensors they're not responsible for).
Resulting permission on this sensor for this user: None

Within PRTG, is 'None' overwriting 'Read'?
Because it doesn't look like PRTG is using 'least restrictive'...

Created on Mar 12, 2018 4:07:49 PM

Votes:

Hi Corné,

I'm not sure I'm following here. What you have interconnected in AD is one thing, inside PRTG an AD user cannot be member of several groups, only one AD connected group. The access rights configured for that group the user has been "linked" to upon first successful AD login, determines the user's access rights as configured in the tree for each object.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, please let me know, I can never rule that fully out :)

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 13, 2018 5:58:40 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.