What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG working with HPE-5xxx's

Votes:

We are starting to roll out these HP Comware devices (they're horrible BTW and wouldn't have been my choice) - HPE-5820X as core devices and HPE-5130's as distribution / access layer units.

Trouble is we can't seem to get PRTG to do anything more than a Ping sensor and presume we need to do some fettling. As I am brand new (pretty much) to the backend of PRTG I don't know if I need to add something in and if so what and where. My understanding is that we may need to add MIBs for these devcies but a fairly intensive look has prved fruitless to find any MIBs for them...

Any pointers or even any links to HP COmwar MIBs most gratefully received. On top of that any pointers to what I need to fettle in PRTG would be most welcome.

comware hpe-5820x mib

Created on Jan 23, 2017 9:28:34 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

A brief update ....

Scouting round the forum I found a reference to SNMP Tester - using that against the IP of one of the Comware devcies shows a lot of snmp info being picked up.

Further digging showed me that the original person that configured up these devcies was manually adding sensors whereas I allowed it to auto-add and bingo bango bongo as my family says ....

If anybody has any thoughts to add then I'm still willing to listen.

Created on Jan 23, 2017 11:07:27 AM

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Please create a new device within PRTG and enter the device's IP and the correct SNMP credentials (the same as in the SNMP Tester) under "SNMP Credentials", please try to add the "SNMP Traffic" sensor afterwards. Is this working?

Best regards.

Created on Jan 23, 2017 12:05:12 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the replyand all now appears to be working

As I say, I am very new to the backend of PRTG and my question is partly due to that confusion and also these new devices that my team have never supported before.

Created on Jan 23, 2017 1:43:36 PM

Votes:

Hi Stuart,

Same issue as you have highlighted above. I can manually add the ping and systemup time sensor although all other sensors are not detected. Did you import HP's MIB or just auto discovery?

Created on Feb 26, 2019 9:27:19 PM

Votes:

Hi @DPS IT...

So much has happened in the last year that I honestly can't answer your quetion as to what I did but I know that I didn't import any additional MIBs.

Also reading back my own reply about finding & using SNMP Tester doesn't shed any light for myself as to what I did - I just know it now works and picks up most devcies without issue.

Created on Feb 27, 2019 9:36:46 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.