What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Virtual Machine Channel POWER SOAP Sensor

Votes:

Hi,

I don't find what che channel 'power' of the soap sensor for a virtual machine, means.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/vmware_virtual_machine_soap_sensor

Maybe the virtual machine status like freezing or halted?

power soap virtual-machine vmware

Created on Jan 25, 2017 8:07:37 AM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

That channel indeed shows the current wattage drawn by the server. However, it shouldn't be just 2W, except you're running it on a raspberry pi :D Can you see any power stats within ESXi?

Created on Jan 26, 2017 1:04:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thank you.

So it indicates the power like WATT, not a power like 'status' (0=ok, 1=problems)

is there a way to check the healt of VM? Like if it's freeze?

Created on Jan 27, 2017 9:44:24 AM

Votes:

It's the current power drawn in watt, yep. You could add a ping sensor to the actual VM - if it's not responding, the VM might have freezed :)

Created on Jan 27, 2017 9:49:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thank you,

I have that, but sometimes happen that a VM is freezed, but pingin. the best I think is monitor a Windows Service.

Created on Jan 27, 2017 2:24:28 PM

Votes:

Probably, yes :)

Created on Jan 27, 2017 2:36:19 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.