What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor free disk space on a FreeBSD server.

Votes:

Hey. I have a server with FreeBSD operating system. I want to create a free sensor monitoring disk space in SNMP Disk Free template, but get an error - "Could not find any matching data on this device (code: PE187).". On the server with the operating system, this sensor is installed without any problems. How can I keep track of free disk space on the server with FreeBSD operating system?

disk-free diskfree diskspace freebsd server snmp

Created on Jan 26, 2017 10:32:58 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

Is SNMP configured correctly on the FreeBSD host (exposing the disks)?
Firewall also allows SNMP requests? Do other SNMP based sensors, like SNMP uptime work properly?

Created on Jan 27, 2017 11:02:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey. I set up some LUTS sensors on FreeBSD: Storage /, type: ufs, dev: / dev / gpt / rootfs / Size, HOST-RESOURCES-MIB :: hrStorageUsed.4, SNMP CPU Load, SNMP Messages In, they all work, then SNMP server is running. Storage /, type: ufs, dev: / dev / gpt / rootfs / Size shows me the disk volume, but does not show how much free space is left. I have a Linux server on which I have set up the sensor - Disk Free: /, where there is Total, Free Bytes, Free Space in%. But when I turn like a sensor on FreeBSD, I have an error occurs.

Created on Jan 30, 2017 11:15:06 AM

Votes:

You mean the error occurs with the SSH Disk Free sensors on FreeBSD?

Created on Jan 31, 2017 9:20:55 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

No, I say that the error I get when SNMP Disk Free Sensor is turned on - error Could not find any matching data on this device. (Code: PE187), SNMP Linux Physical Disk - error Could not find any disk on this device. (Code: PE188). SNMP Sensor Disk Free Sensor - Error No such object (SNMP error # 222). SSH sensor I do not need.

Created on Jan 31, 2017 11:18:13 AM

Votes:

Is it possible that the disks are not included in your SNMP config? Could you post the entire configuration here? I won't publish it so that only support can see it.

Created on Feb 1, 2017 8:56:26 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

disk /

Can you put this at the end of your config and restart the snmpd service? Then the disk sensors should work. Given that the rest is configured correctly and SNMP Uptime works.

Created on Feb 1, 2017 2:32:46 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We added at the end of the configuration disk / and we stopped working SNMPD service.

Log: Feb 2 12:21:15 rproxy-node-a snmpd[74444]: bad character '/' Feb 2 12:21:15 rproxy-node-a snmpd[74444]: in file /etc/snmpd.config line 303 Feb 2 12:21:15 rproxy-node-a snmpd[74444]: error in config file

FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE Begemot simple SNMP daemon. Copyright (c) 2001-2002 Fraunhofer Institute for Open Communication Systems (FhG Fokus). All rights reserved. Copyright (c) 2010 The FreeBSD Foundation. All rights reserved.

Created on Feb 2, 2017 9:52:41 AM

Votes:

Strange, that should work according to FreeBSD. Could you try using includeAllDisks 10% instead?

Created on Feb 2, 2017 10:01:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 2, 2017 10:02:05 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I do not quite understand what you mean. Please explain more what we need to do. Thank you.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 8:22:25 AM

Votes:

Sorry if my previous post was ambiguous. Simply execute the following, remember to modify the path to your snmpd.conf according to your system:

echo includeAllDisks 10% >> /etc/conf.d/snmpd.conf

Then restart the snmpd service. Does that work, i.e. does the service start again and do the sensors work afterwards?

Created on Feb 3, 2017 9:12:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just out of curiosity, did you already try to use the SSH Disk Free sensor?

Created on Feb 6, 2017 6:33:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 6, 2017 6:33:59 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.