What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoroning Location (Map) via PRTG

Votes:

Dear Team,

Hello,

Our Vessels have a standard IP via the Inmarsat Satellite Network. We would like your assistance in order to find out the way to monitoring our Vessels Location via the PRTG Program.Your assistance will be high appreciated.

Many thanks and Best Regards, Stamatis P.

location map prtg snmp

Created on Jan 27, 2017 8:57:02 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear stamatis2810,

Thank you for your KB-post.

Actually, there is no way to achieve this with the native sensors or features of PRTG. However, please refer to this KB-article which might point you in the right direction.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Jan 27, 2017 2:16:51 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Dear Sven,

I have done to transfer the gps data from Vessel to PRTG via prtg API. The problem is that PRTG does not refresh the new Data that the Vessel send to PRTG Location (Location (for Geo Maps)) and when the new data imported to Location Label of PRTG, always shows the South Africa Area on the map. Please advise how to resolve this issue. .Your assistance will be high appreciated.

Many thanks and Best Regards,

Created on Mar 1, 2017 9:51:18 AM

Votes:

Dear stamatis2810,

Please try to use the following API-call to set the new location to your device:

https://your-core-server.tld/api/setobjectproperty.htm?id=9999&name=location&value=47.864419,-86.779434&username=prtgadmin&passhash=12345678

#######################
# 9999     = device-ID
# 12345678 = passhash --> Setup > Account Settings > My Account > USER ACCOUNT > Passhash
#######################

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Mar 1, 2017 1:11:12 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Dear Sven,

Many thanks for your reply...I have configure my API as per your instructions. The problem now is that i cannot see the Lat Long values that the Vessel send to the PRTG, on the Location (Geo Maps). If i set a number on the the Location ,for example "0" and click "Save", then the Map is coreect but the location value is not correct, as we set it to "0". Please advise what i am doing wrong. Many thanks for your assistance. Your assistance will be high appreciated.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 1, 2017 8:41:34 PM

Votes:

Dear stamatis2810,

Please open a support ticket (using the Ticket no PAE833675) and forward some more information as we need more insight to investigate here.

Please forward us:

• screenshots of the used sensor - tabs Overview, Logs and Settings
  • screenshots from the parent device - tabs Overview and Settings
  • used scripts to gather the GPS data from the vessels

Best reagards,
Sven

Created on Mar 2, 2017 2:56:38 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.