What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I’m looking for a way to monitor the traffic behavior for any abnormal change, in a service provider

Votes:

Dear All,

I’m looking for a way to monitor the traffic behavior for any abnormal change, in a service provider that has almost the same traffic graph every day,

• I know that I can use limits in the sensors, but limits can detect only outages or heavy disruptions or a very high incoming traffic (like attacks) in my case,
  • And I know that I can use unusual detection to detect an abnormal traffic average for 1 hour in comparison with the same weekday, but this feature takes time to calculate the unusual traffic (About an hour) to mark the sensor as warning

What I’m looking for is for example, the traffic now is 1800 Mbps at 2:00 PM and the traffic at 2:10 PM has dropped down suddenly about 250 to be 1650 (this event is not normal)

my lower error limit can’t detect such a degradation because it is configured when the traffic become to be at 400Mbps (and I can’t configure the lower limit to be at 1700 because our traffic become to be about 500 Mbps every day at 5:00AM)

Is there any way to analyze such a sudden traffic behavior change on PRTG??

And thank you 

limits sla traffic traffic-monitoring unusual

Created on Jan 28, 2017 11:28:15 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

PRTG has to some extent a built-in "Unusual Detection", which can be configured in Setup | System Administration | Monitoring. Important to know however is that it establishes its own "baseline". This means the sensor needs to exist for a few weeks, before unsual detection becomes effective for the sensor.

Besides the configuration options mentioned in the aforementioned link, it is however not possible to tweak this manually differently for single sensors.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 30, 2017 8:20:26 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.