What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Fortigate SNMP sensor stuck on config

Votes:

Hello !

I'm relatively new to SNMP and currently trying to add somes snmp sensor from my fortigate device to prtg. I'd like to be able to monitor VPN state.

I followed this tutorial :

I have setup snmp v2 on one firewall. I have setup a device on prtg with the right ip and snmp info and some basic sensor like ping are working fine. I downloaded MIB file from my fortigate, converted them with paessler tool and put them in my prtg install. But when I try to add that sensor via "SNMP bibliothek" the sensor goes into "config", which usually take a matter of seconds, but there it juste get stuck, the progress bar looping again and again. I have let it run one full night for nothing.

I try to access my device with paessler SNMP tester and that worked fine (did a simple "scan interfaces").

Any idea of what I could do to understand what is happening ?

Thank you in advance

fortigate prtg snmp

Created on Jan 30, 2017 8:23:52 PM

Last change on Feb 1, 2017 10:10:53 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

This a "known issue" with Fortigate's MIB, which usually fails to import because it contains too much information. Please refer to the following:

The solution is described in the link above, it consists of removing part of the MIB using "Partial Selection" in the MIB Importer, before saving the oidlib file.

On a side note, if you're looking to monitor data from a Table and you know the OID, you could give our Table Sensor a try, it allows for multi-channel sensors:

I've lookup-up the FORTINET-FORTIGATE-MIB and the Table's OID appears to be:

fgVpnTunTable1.3.6.1.4.1.12356.101.12.2.2

The MIB is visible in HTML form on the following 3rd party website:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 1, 2017 10:10:13 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you ! I just excluded "fg ip sess" and it works like a charm.

Created on Feb 1, 2017 12:44:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.