What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI, Performance Counters and local credentials

Votes:

Having read a few threads about intermittent and strange problem monitoring with WMI I have found the following:

I use local accounts on my windows machines for monitoring. If I leave the Domain/Computer field blank in the Windows Credentials section then Perf. Counters work OK but I have issues with WMI only sensors. If I put Localhost or the machine name then WMI only sensors work fine but Perf. Counters fail.

Is there a way I can make both types of sensor live happily on the same device?

local-account localhost performance-counters performancecounter wmi wmi-sensors

Created on Feb 1, 2017 4:27:11 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Dan,

The "point" is querying the local host of the remote machine. If you enter "localhost" you will land on the PRTG Server itself.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 4:49:01 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi Dan,

Please enter the FQDN of the device into the Domain/Computer field or at least its hostname. Does that work?

Created on Feb 2, 2017 12:34:07 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is the problem, if I add the FQDN or localhost the WMI works with no problems but the Performance Counter sensors fail.

Created on Feb 2, 2017 3:13:57 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Please check the following guide and make sure that you meet all requirements.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 10:31:46 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I've been through that guide (many times) and can confirm I meet all the requirements. The issue I'm having is that I can't get WMI only sensors and Perf. Counter only sensors to work together on the same device. This is also an issue for sensors that use WMI to discover and Perf. Counters to monitor.

In order to use performance counters (and take advantage of lower device load) I have entered a local user account (remote probe is not on the same domain as the target device) and left the domain/computer field blank. The only way I can get WMI only sensors to work is to add the FQDN or "localhost" into that field. This kills the Perf. Counter sensors.

I'm looking for a way (if possible) to use both types of sensor on the same device, at the same time.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 11:10:40 AM

Votes:

Update: I have found that using a "." in the domain/computer field works where the FQDN or "localhost" kills Perf. Counter sensors and leaving it blank gives an access denied on WMI sensors. (so far, still testing).

No I'm trying to understand the difference betweel using "." and "localhost".

Created on Feb 3, 2017 11:57:10 AM

Votes:

Hi Dan,

Well, the "." is actually the hostname of device (SERVER02). You said that the devices is member of another domain, did you entered as a FQDN "SERVER02" or something like "SERVER02.differentdomain.local"?

Did you already checked the "PerfCounter Troubleshooting Guide"?

Created on Feb 3, 2017 12:37:22 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Dariusz, I know the "." is the hostname but I thought "localhost" would do the same but clearly not. I tried the FQDN (server01.domain.com), server name only (server01) and well as localhost. All three of those brought my WMI only sensors up but the Perf. counters fail. Using the "." seems to do the trick for both types of sensor. I'm now wanting to under stand the difference between using the "." and "localhost". I'm happy its working but would like to know why :)

Using credentials I can set at the group level is also preferred I believe.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 1:51:26 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Dan,

The "point" is querying the local host of the remote machine. If you enter "localhost" you will land on the PRTG Server itself.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 4:49:01 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Dariousz. Thinking about it that now makes sense. localhost and . work the same from the WMI tester which confused me. I have now tested this across more than one domain.

Created on Feb 3, 2017 5:03:51 PM

Votes:

Hi Dan,

Good to hear that it is working now. :)

Best regards.

Created on Feb 6, 2017 7:43:16 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.