What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

can i script SNMP?

Votes:

Hi

I have an OID that i need to get info from. The problem is that the SNMP server assigns OIDs to the top-10 objects .. i.e. objects dont get a fixed OID (!!).

So i need to be able to write a script that queries the top-10 objects for the object im looking for. Then feeds the SNMP OID back in to get the data value that i want..

Can i use PRTGs SNMP engine, and also use the credentials stored with the device?

Cheers

Trunq

exexml oid snmp

Created on Feb 7, 2017 2:22:12 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your inquiry.

I have an OID that i need to get info from. The problem is that the SNMP server assigns OIDs to the top-10 objects .. i.e. objects dont get a fixed OID (!!).

That sounds a lot like an SNMP Table. You might want to refer to:

So i need to be able to write a script that queries the top-10 objects for the object im looking for. Then feeds the SNMP OID back in to get the data value that i want.. Can i use PRTGs SNMP engine, and also use the credentials stored with the device?

While you won't be able to use PRTG's built-in SNMP Engine, you can use any other application/script/program that you want. PRTG is very flexible regarding custom scripts and sensors and this shouldn't be hard to implement. The deployed sensor can be configured to forward the %host and/or %snmpcomunity variables (and any other parameters) to the sensor at execution time, this way you don't need to hard-code settings in the script. Please refer to the links below for examples:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 8, 2017 7:46:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.