What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How do i monitor OS X (v.10.10.5) processes ?

Votes:

We can monitor disk space and other snmp sensors without problems but if i try to monitor processes it doesn't work. I know that i have to add the process in the snmpd.conf but if i use the Library Sensor (Error Flag) the given result is not the one I hoped for. For example the ssh deamon. If i grep that process via "ps -ef | grep sshd" and use the outcome of that command in my snmpd.conf i always get the error, that the flag is 1 (means that the process is not active). I tried to add the standalone process in the snmpd.conf as well as the whole path of that process.

Any suggestions?

macosx processes snmp

Created on Feb 8, 2017 2:39:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hey, thank you for the fast reply but I already worked through nearly all of the connected articles for snmp in this kb. I know how to activate snmp on os x but I just have problems with monitoring the exact processes. As I said we monitor e.g. disk space via snmp. I just don't get the point how to monitor if an sshd process (for example) is running because no matter how I try to integrate the process in the snmpd.conf I always get the wrong output in PRTG. I know that the sshd process is running but the Library Sensor (Error Flag) of PRTG tells me that it's not.

Created on Feb 9, 2017 8:04:12 AM

Votes:

Hello martin_p,

Thank you for your knowledge post.

Under OS X, you need to write your own script that checks the given process' state. Then you can use it in conjunction with the SSH Script sensor or its advanced version.

Further information about the mentioned sensors can be found here:

Please note that we can't provide any assistance when it comes to custom scripts except for debugging the output in order to make it PRTG compatible.

Let me know if you have any further questions left.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 9, 2017 2:51:34 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.