What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using Oracle V2 sensor to connect using Oracle Advanced Encryption

Votes:

I have an Oracle database Listener that requires Oracle Advanced Encryption (OAE) from the client. This works when using the Oracle 12c Drivers and the SQLNET.ORA file with the appropriate encryption settings, but not from your Oracle SQL V2 sensor. I get an "ORA-12537: Network Session: End of file" error message from the sensor.

Your KB https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/52803-how-do-prtg-sensors-connect-to-oracle-databases pointed to dotConnect for Oracle—Using Direct Mode which alluded to supporting OAE if certain settings were set, but it didn't show where in PRTG one could do that.

Is there a settings file/registry setting that PRTG users can access to turn on the appropriate OAE settings? If not, is there a way to have the sensor use OCI (assuming I install the Oracle 12c Drivers on the PRTG Windows box?

encryption oracle prtg

Created on Feb 8, 2017 10:27:16 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Bill,

The KB article you've mentioned might not apply as it refers to the old SQLv1 sensors. Before consulting the developers about it, these details would be interesting:

• Which PRTG version do you have currently running? Changelog of version 16.3.25.5488/5489 stated something about "Fixed an issue caused by the connection encryption of the Oracle SQL v2 sensor."
  • Make sure to have the latest version of .NET running on the probe system (aka PRTG server or remote probe if applicable).
  • Run SQLv2.exe manually located in prtg_install_directory/Sensor System, it's basically what the sensors use and has a little gui for manual testing. What do you get there? Same error?

Thank you & Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 10, 2017 1:05:43 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry for the delay in the response, finally got back to this project.

We are running PRTG Network Monitor 17.2.31.2153.

We have .NET Framework 4.7 installed on our Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard virtual server running in 64 bit mode with 8 Gb of RAM.

When I run SQLv2.exe with database settings of

• Type=Oracle
  • Server=<DNS NAME OF SERVER>
  • Port=1521
  • SID=<SERVICE NAME FOR DB>
  • Username=<ORACLE USERNAME>
  • Password=<ORACLE PASSWORD>
  • Query="select count(spriden_pidm) from saturn.spriden" with defaults for all the Data Settings, I get "Connection request timed out".

From the same machine using Oracle 12C full drivers 12.1.0 using Oracle's SQL Developer 4.1.4 and TNSNAMES.ORA, I can successfully connect to the host at that port with that service name/userid/password using Oracle Encryption that is enforced by the server.

When using the sensor in PRTG, to exactly duplicate our TNSNAMES.ORA Setting ------------------------- bpr1_dr = (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host = <DNS NAME OF SERVER>)(Port = 1521)) ) (CONNECT_DATA = (UR = A) (SERVICE_NAME = <SERVICE NAME FOR DB>) ) ) ------------------------- , I have been appending the extra line in CONNECT_DATA to the Service Name, e.g. <SERVICE NAME FOR DB>)(UR=A

Here is the result from the Result of Sensor...log file: {{{-------------------------

10.01.18 10:49:46: Connections String: USER ID=<ORACLE USERNAME>;CONNECTION TIMEOUT=60;PASSWORD=<ORACLE PASSWORD>;DATA SOURCE="(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=<DNS NAME OF SERVER>)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=<SERVICE NAME FOR DB>)(UR = A)))" -------------------------}}}

Here is the Result of Sensor.....txt result file:

<prtg>
<error>1</error>
<text>Network Transport: TCP transport address connect failure</text>
</prtg>

Created on Jan 10, 2018 4:42:54 PM

Votes:

Hi Bill,

Could you try to use the ADO method within the sensor? The connection strings for oracle are elaborated here: https://www.connectionstrings.com/oracle/

Kind regards
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 11, 2018 8:32:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.