What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Imap - Server has gracefully disconnected you

Votes:

Hello,

New users of PRTG, I recently setup some imap sensor, currently there are 14 of them, which are all using the same adress and monitoring different mail. This adress is a google for business (gsuite) account.

All was working well on my own laptop which was shutdown every night. I decided to move all of my installation and configuration on an always on virtual machine to keep monitoring up all the time. And that worked fine.

Except sometimes my IMAP sensor all start to turn red and return this message : "Server has gracefully disconnected you, possibly because the connection was idle for too long.". It goes on for a few hour, while other sensor like some SNMP devices are still working, then it returns to normal without me doing nothing. When that happens, I can access the mail without problem using the web interface, didn't try using another imap client like outlook ...

Any idea on what is causing that ? Is there some kind of imap connection limitation by google, or is there a problem in the way prtg handle the connexion ?

Thanks in advance.

gracefully imap prtg

Created on Feb 9, 2017 2:35:09 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

I also don't think it's a general failure like the mailserver not being reachable anymore. More of an issue maybe regarding how many requests it gets or something similar.

You can also enable the option "Write sensor result to disk (Filename: "Result of Sensor [ID].txt")", in the Settings of the IMAP Sensor in PRTG, to maybe see the steps before the connection close. The result files are written into C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System) on the probe system that runs the sensor(s).

Also looking at the logs on the mailserver's side should reveal more details what may have lead to these errors in the sensors, but I'm not sure if you have access to those since it's run by Google, so you might need to ask for assistance from there too.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 10, 2017 1:18:58 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello and thanks for the answer.

Turns out after a while some sensor started to show another error message : "Too many simultaneous connections".

With that error I found a thread that show that gmail have a limit of (then) 15 imap connections : http://www.eightytwenty.co/fix-too-many-simultaneous-connections-imap-gmail-help/

So I just tweaked a bit with the "Interval" parameter on my prtg device and all is okay now, given that checking each mail once every few hour fills my needs.

Hope this can help others !

Created on Feb 15, 2017 1:22:09 PM

Votes:

Hi Sab159,

Great, thank you for sharing your findings!

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 15, 2017 1:27:28 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.