What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why do the services in System Infomration not match with what is on the server.

Votes:

I am running version 16.3.25. When i look up what services are running on a Windows Server 2012 (Azure) I get a list of 140 services but I am missing a lot more. SQL services to be specific. Our server admin sent me a screenshot with the services that PRTG doesn't list, when I try to add them as a WMI sensor I get a complete list including the services that were not listed in System Information. What could be the problem here, how can I get all services to show up in System Information?

services system-information wmi-services

Created on Feb 13, 2017 9:18:56 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Ernesto,

You will probably find the other services under "M..", like "MSSQL..". The service names displayed in the "System Informations" are the "real" names and the other are just the Display-Names of the services. You can check the services names by connecting via RDP to the SQL Server and opening the "Services" tab in the TaskManager. In the TaskManager are also the "real" names used.

Best regards.

Created on Feb 15, 2017 7:23:23 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Ernesto,

Please scroll to the bottom of the "Services" box within the "System Information" tab, are you able to use the pagination? The box just displays 50 Services, to see more services you have to navigate through the pages. Or you click on "500" next to "Items:" in the top right corner of the "Services" box (table).

Best regards.

Created on Feb 14, 2017 10:08:41 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Dariusz,

I have tried what you said. When Im in System Information and I order all services by alphabetical order , I get a completely different list that when I go to add sensors and select WMI Service. In System Information, if I scroll down to services beginning with "S" I only see 5 that start with SQL, on the other hand in the WMI Service Monitor List I see 10 beginning with SQL. I also noticed that some services are abbreviated in System Information, e.g.: Application Experience is AeLookupSvc, BITS is Background Intelligent Services. I know the abbreviations are not messing up the order because I've checked the whole list.

Link to image with side by side comparison:

http://i65.tinypic.com/5ex0mp.png

http://i67.tinypic.com/2n8vs78.png

Created on Feb 14, 2017 5:14:06 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Ernesto,

You will probably find the other services under "M..", like "MSSQL..". The service names displayed in the "System Informations" are the "real" names and the other are just the Display-Names of the services. You can check the services names by connecting via RDP to the SQL Server and opening the "Services" tab in the TaskManager. In the TaskManager are also the "real" names used.

Best regards.

Created on Feb 15, 2017 7:23:23 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

After copying the WMI Service Monitor List to an excel I was able to count the services easier, the total was 140 just as in the System Information. You are correct, comparing with Task Manager had never came to my mind. I was just looking under Services (services.msc) and since the column says Name, I figured that was the real name. Thanks, I really appreciate your help.

Created on Feb 15, 2017 4:14:32 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.