What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Port channel monitoring

Votes:

Is there way that PRTG Network monitor to notify when a port member of a Port Channel goes down via SNMP traffic sensor or any other way. We don't want to monitor every single port as there are hundreds.

etherchannel port-channel snmp-sensor

Created on Feb 15, 2017 11:45:35 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there and thank you for your inquiry.

PRTG's standard SNMP Traffic Sensor is able to monitor the "Operational Status" of individual interfaces. Port channels may not have a default/standard MIB implementation, so the actual solution will depend on the device's vendor.

If you're working with Cisco's devices you may want to check this:

portChannelTable (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.285.1.1.1)

This table facilitates the creation and deletion of a Port Channel interface to achieve higher bandwidths than just one E_port. More than one E_port can be a member of an Port Channel port. NOTE:Only E_ports can be members of an Port Channel port. A port is added to a Port Channel port by setting portChannelMemberList,and the 'manner' in which the agent performs the type of addition is determined by the value of portChannelAddType. During the period when port(s) is being added to the Port Channel, the agent will not allow to change any parameters of the port(s) being added. Also if the operation is successful (i.e. port(s) is added to the Port Channel) then also the agent will not allow to change any parameters of the individual port(s) that is added. But any change done to the Port Channel port will also be applied to the port(s) which are member(s) of this Port channel port. Once a port(s) is removed from a Port Channel Port it will retain the values that it had when it was a member of the Port Channel port. It will not have the old values it had before joining the Port Channel port. The port(s) that are added/removed to/from a Port Channel port will be put into administratively down (ifAdminStatus='down') which results into operationally down(ifOperStatus='down'). To bring the port up again, the user has to set the port to be administratively up(ifAdminStatus='up'). Then the port goes through its initialization cycle to become active(ifOperStatus='up').

To confirm whenever this data is available on your device, please use our SNMP Tester and perform a "Walk" test on the above OID. If you get an ouput, feel free to share it below and I'll be able to take a look whenever the data can be easily monitored with a custom sensor in PRTG.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 16, 2017 12:21:48 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Dec 27, 2021 6:45:53 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I tested the SNMP Tester walk for this OID and I got timeout. We have a Cisco Switch and the customer needs to monitor individual ports in the PortChannel.

Where can I find the right OID?

Created on Dec 23, 2021 12:51:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Melory,

Thank you for your feedback.

Can you please make sure to use SNMP Tester in the same network of the device (if not done yet) while executing the walk request. This would avoid any communication issue and confirm that the OID above is not working in your case. I also invite you to select the IP address explicitly in the Local IP field.

If it still doesn't work, then I invite you to download the MIB file(s) of the Cisco Switch and look for the OID of the corresponding information by using our MIB Importer tool: https://www.paessler.com/tools/mibimporter

Finally, when you find the OID(s) I invite you to test it with the SNMP Tester before using it with PRTG.

If you have questions, let us know.

Regards.

Created on Dec 27, 2021 6:52:02 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.