What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Probe.exe high CPU

Votes:

We have a small setup with PRTG and it works great. However, we recently added a probe on to an Azure server to monitor a couple of servers there.

Two of the servers being monitored are set to shut down over night and the schedule I have set up prevents alerts etc, so that's all working. (Servers shut down at 7pm UK time. I don't think this is related but I am mentioning it just in case)

All is OK, except that about 9pm UK time, every night the PRTG Probe.exe goes up to 99% CPU and stays there until I kill it and restart the service.

I've left it over night to see if it makes any difference, but after over 12 hours (and with those servers that go off back up and running again), it's still using up all available CPU.

Any ideas? If I have to I will setup something to restart the probe service daily, but I'd rather fix the cause than the symptom.

PRTG Prove version from the exe is 17.1.28.1032 and is the same version running on our other probes without issue.

Thanks in advance.

cpu-load cpu-usage cpu-utilization high probe prtg usage

Created on Feb 17, 2017 9:12:27 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear acoles

This issue has been fixed in the latest release. Please download the update. Run this file on the PRTG core server (not on the remote probe.) The existing configuration will be kept. Once the core server is updated, it transmits the remote probe installer to each remote probe.

Created on Feb 17, 2017 1:11:00 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Do we need to do anything on the remote probes or will they shutdown and update on their own?

Created on Feb 17, 2017 2:13:28 PM

Votes:

Remote probes usually update themselves once the core is updated. If a restart is required, PRTG notifies you.

In case the probe update fails, please go to the web interface, Setup / Download / Remote Probe Installer to obtain the remote probe update manually.

Created on Feb 17, 2017 3:20:10 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 17, 2017 3:20:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.