What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DNS lookup Sensor

Votes:

Hello

is there a sensor in PRTG, which can be added to each device to lookup for the DNS-Entry and / or the IP-address of this device?

Like it is possible with "nslookup".

I will monitor, if there is valid DNS-Entry for several devices.

dns ip lookup

Created on Feb 17, 2017 9:20:30 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Uwe,

Thank you very much for your knowledge base post.

I'm sorry but PRTG does not offer such a sensor out-of-the-box. However, you might be able to retrieve the information by writing your own Custom Sensor.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Created on Feb 17, 2017 1:31:09 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello!

I found this question and we ended up writing our own custom sensor, which is just a simple PowerShell script. I'll share with the community. I'm not PowerShell expert, but this got the job done - just place it in the special EXE directory outlined in Sebastian's link above and modify as needed.

$DNSName = "www.website.com"
$AllowedIPArray = @("x.x.x.x","y.y.y.y")

Try {
    # NOTE: I use this method vs. the Resolve-DnsName since the output of the cmdlet mixes different object types 
    # (see link below), so it's more work to handle that.
    # https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/301869-powershell/suggestions/14452845-default-resolve-dnsname-object-output-results-in-a
    $DNSResultArray = [System.Net.Dns]::Resolve($DNSName).AddressList
}
# we need to catch the error thrown if DNS lookup fails
Catch {
    write-host "1:DNS Lookup Error"
    exit 1
}

# something is wrong, if more or less than one A record is returned.
if ($DNSResultArray.Count -ne 1) {
    write-host "2:DNS Lookup Error"
    exit 1 # warning
}

if ($AllowedIPArray -notcontains $DNSResultArray) {
    write-host "3:New IP Found " + $DNSResultArray[0].IPAddressToString
    exit 2 # error
}

write-host "0:OK"
exit 0

Created on Apr 3, 2017 8:36:53 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.