What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Definition

Votes:

What is probe or remote probe? I can not understand :(

probe probes remote-probe

Created on Feb 21, 2017 11:22:35 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello ZTurkgucu,

Thank you very much for your KB-post.

Please refer to this article which explains the difference between a Local Probe and a Remote Probe and their purpose.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Feb 21, 2017 11:29:13 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello Sven,

I read this, but meaning density is high. I need a few simple sentences.

Thanks all. Best regards.. Sahra

Created on Feb 21, 2017 11:34:46 AM

Votes:

Hey Sahra,

Basically, if you install PRTG on your server, it will install and start two different services. The Core Server Service and the Probe Service.

The Core Server manages and controls your entire PRTG infrastructure, calculates the graphs and includes the web server while the Probe Service schedules/runs the sensor-tests on the target hosts.

The difference between the Local Probe and a Remote Probe is, that the LP is installed on the same machine as the Core Server is. But the RP is installed on a separate machine (usually outside of your network).
On a RP runs the Probe Service only. This service schedules/runs the sensor-tests on the target hosts and sends its data to the Core Server afterwards.

For more details and to get a first impression of all parts of PRTG, please visit our e-Learning Portal.

In case, that you have any further questions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Feb 21, 2017 11:57:37 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thanks a lot Sven. I understood :)

YOU ARE BEST!! :)

Best Regards.. Sahra

Created on Feb 21, 2017 12:04:54 PM

Votes:

Hey Sahra,

Thank you very much for your feedback. You´re very welcome.
Have a great day,
Sven

Created on Feb 21, 2017 12:37:08 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.