What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Default Sensor Names

Votes:

Hi

is there a way to change the default names of sensors? For example our Ping sensors are all named "0_PING - so whenever adding one it has to be renamed first.

I know that by selecting by type I can batch-rename all - but I think it'd be a nice feature if we could just preset the default names to values that fit our scheme better.

Thank you!

default-name prtg sensor

Created on Feb 28, 2017 9:17:54 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Christian,

The best way would be to create one default device template where the names are as desired (01_Ping, 02_HTTP ...). Afterwards you can apply this device template to all new devices and the names will be kept. To change the names or to check if all names are correct within the device template, open the corresponding "*.odt" file on the PRTG Core Server under "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates\" and check for the "displayname=" attribute: <create id="pingsensor" kind="ping" requires="ping" displayname="01_Ping">

Best regards.

Created on Feb 28, 2017 9:25:52 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.