What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Creating a Map with the Api

Votes:

Using the Map editor I can create a network diagram based off what I have discovered in PRTG.

Can I create a map using the PRTG API?

If I use something like parent and child relationships - can I have the API draw a network diagram?

With the current map editor it seems very static - I know I can use it to drill down into the sensors but what I really want is for the API to draw the map for me based off what data I put into it the individual devices (I.e. PC1 and Sever1 are connected to Switch 1).

Is this possible or is this something we would need to request in a future release?

devices maps prtg

Created on Mar 5, 2017 11:18:12 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear reeno,

Thank you for your knowledge base post.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to create maps on the basis of the PRTG API. We are aware of the relative static map creation and we are currently working on improvements, however I can't name a release date for this.

You might have a look at our Alliance Partner page regarding PRTG maps in combination with UVexplorer. This is currently the best approach for automatic network mapping.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Created on Mar 6, 2017 12:30:22 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 24, 2018 10:53:47 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.