What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

API: Get table of device history by sensor

Votes:

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a detailed history of device statistics out of the PRTG API. I'm using this query to pull channel values by datetime:

/api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14129

I'd like to do that, but for all channels of a device. I'd like to specify a list of sensors, then have data returned in something along the lines of the following:

/api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14130,14131,14132 sensorID / datetime / value / downtime / coverage

This would result in a long json object, but the software I'm using (PowerBI) is then able to slice that file up by a given object ID (in this case, the sensor identifier). Currently I'm doing this by doing a lot of the former query (single sensor values) and merging those tables, but this is becoming unwieldy - I have 50+ sensors we're pulling data from.

Thanks!

Cameron

api json prtg

Created on Mar 6, 2017 8:02:28 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear crmunro,

Thank you very much for your KB-posting.

Please clarify if you want to get the last value of the primary channel for all sensors of a particular node (device, group, probe) or of a list of given sensor IDs.

You can get the last value of the primary channel if you list all sensors of a particular node. However to get the data of a pre-defined list, or the data of all channels, you can do it only sensor by sensor.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Mar 6, 2017 2:28:50 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Sven,

I'd like a list of historical values for a list of given sensor IDs. I guess the best way I can summarise that is to get a concatenated list of the below queries:

/api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14129 /api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14130 /api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14134

So that all values are returned in one result, with the following API call:

/api/table.json?content=values&output=json&columns=datetime,value_,coverage&id=14129,14130,14134

The reason for doing this is that pulling large amounts of related data out of PRTG becomes quite a hassle - for example, if I want historical temperature, humidity, and dew point data from a UPS, I need to run three API calls and then concatenate those results in my reporting software.

Perhaps this could be a feature request?

Cameron

Created on Mar 7, 2017 8:37:58 AM

Votes:

Hey Cameron,

Unfortunately this is not possible. Please do this sensor by sensor as it is not possible to add several comma separated object-IDs to an API-call.

We really appreciate your feature request, but as we are currently working on several new features and improvements of PRTG it is unlikely that this will come in the near future, I am afraid.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Mar 7, 2017 1:00:51 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Mar 7, 2017 1:11:06 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.