What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Import MIB-File: Missing Import module: RFC 1212

Votes:

Ich versuche ein MIB-File zu importieren und bekomme die Fehlermeldung

Error: Missing Import module: RFC 1212.

Es geht um ein Trend Micro MIB-File An was kann das liegen? Danke im Voraus

error-messages mib mib-importer missing-data prtg

Created on Mar 6, 2017 9:45:58 AM

Last change on Mar 6, 2017 11:13:12 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,
I'll reply in english as it's the "universal" language for the KB.

We have a KB-Post that explains this message:

The Missing Import module basically tells you that an additional MIB required by the MIB that you're importing is not present in the folder of the MIB that you're importing. Essentially, if you open the MIB with a text editor you'll see something like this:

SOME-MIB-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
    ifEntry, ifName, ifIndex
        FROM IF-MIB
    Counter32, Counter64, Gauge32, Unsigned32, Integer32, IpAddress,
    MODULE-IDENTITY, NOTIFICATION-TYPE, OBJECT-TYPE, TimeTicks, OBJECT-IDENTITY
        FROM SNMPv2-SMI
    DisplayString, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, AutonomousType, DateAndTime, PhysAddress
        FROM SNMPv2-TC;

Basically, MIB's are inter-operable, which means that specific types that are defined in one MIB file can be imported in a different file. In your case, the rfc-1212.mib is missing. You may locate this MIB in the following path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB or on the internet.

Just make sure that this MIB is present in the same folder as the MIB from Trend Micro and then try importing it again.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Mar 6, 2017 11:21:03 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I try to save this .MIB with the MIB importer as .oidlib file, so I can add this as an SNMP Library sensor. A RFC1212.mib file I cant find here also. This trend.mib is the only file I can find in the directory. Is there a possibilty to change this trend.mib file that it works? Best Regards

Created on Mar 6, 2017 12:46:48 PM

Votes:

Thank you for your reply,

Please perform the following:

1. Create a new folder on your desktop.
  2. Copy the desired trend.mib to this folder
  3. Head to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB and copy the rfc-1212.mib into the very same folder.
  4. Open the MIB Importer and import the trend.mib from this new folder.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 7, 2017 11:12:27 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Does not work. Importing the rfc-1212.mib is working. Tried to import the trend.mib file from folder with rfc-1212.mib file. Same error.

Created on Mar 21, 2017 8:28:45 AM

Votes:

Please share a link where we can download the trend.mib file. This way we can investigate further.

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 21, 2017 9:06:22 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

There is no download.. the trend.mib I am using i copied localy in programm-path from the system on which this software is running. If you give me an email adress I could send it to you.

Thanks and regards Mazlum

Created on Mar 21, 2017 9:56:52 AM

Votes:

Please send it to [email protected] with the following subject:

Knowledge Base: Import MIB-File: Missing Import module: RFC 1212 (Case PAE843508)

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 21, 2017 10:28:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

These are the imports of the trend.mib:

Trend-MIB DEFINITIONS	::= BEGIN

IMPORTS		
	OBJECT-TYPE	FROM RFC1212
	enterprises	FROM RFC1155-SMI
	DisplayString	FROM SNMPv2-TC;
[...]

It references an incorrect MIB name, the RFC 1212 MIB is actually called RFC-1212 and NOT RFC1212. You can confirm the correct name of the RFC-1212.mib by opening this file as well:

RFC-1212 DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS
              ObjectName, NetworkAddress, IpAddress
                  FROM RFC1155-SMI;
--            DisplayString
--                FROM RFC1158-MIB;
[...]

However, I was still not able to import the MIB after adjusting this. I still got the following error:

Report for .\trend.mib:
Sucessfully included files: 4 of 4
Sucessfully imported OIDs: 0 of 17
OIDs that could not be completely resolved: 34

There are hundreds of syntax issues in the trend.mib file. You can confirm this using 3rd party MIB validation tools/sites:

• simpleweb.org: MIB Validator You should contact the vendor as he is responsible for the MIB's design. Alternatively, you can try to find out the actual OID's, this way you can deploy the relevant sensors even without access to the MIB.

If you walk the following OID on your device it should list all OID's from Trend Micro to which the device that you want to monitor replies:

Best Regards,

Created on Mar 21, 2017 3:09:57 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Mar 21, 2017 3:10:47 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.