What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I move multiple devices to an other group at once?

Votes:

I would like to know if there is a way to move multiple devices to other group at once.

I tried to do it like using Multi-Edit. I selected all the devices that I need to move and then click with right button and choose "move to other group", however it just moves only one device (just the device that was clicked on).

Well, is there a way to do it? It would be very useful.

Thanks a lot.

devices move multiple once other-group wishlist

Created on Jul 29, 2010 2:18:54 PM

Last change on Jul 29, 2010 3:16:12 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

FYI as this was the first result of a search for "move multiple devices":

In version 15.1.15.2022+ (tested using Firefox, Chrome)

Go to Group Root (Devices > All) Select the "Management" Tab You should now be able to select multiple devices by clicking on them when holding down "CTRL". Drag to the new group.

Be aware that the red arrow indicates where the devices will be "dropped", take care to put exactly in the correct place.

HTH.

Created on Apr 16, 2015 10:24:08 AM

43 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

if you allow me, I would like to suggest it to be developed on the next version or update, because it would be very useful.

Thank you very much.

Created on Jul 29, 2010 2:56:42 PM

Votes:

We will put this on the wishlist.

Created on Jul 29, 2010 3:00:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it possible to do that on version 8?

Thanks in advance.

Created on Nov 11, 2010 12:18:15 PM

Votes:

No, it's not possible in PRTG 8.

Created on Nov 11, 2010 12:57:21 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

no, sorry.

but using the WIN GUI to drag and drop devices to another group is already very fast and easy

Created on Nov 11, 2010 12:58:05 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i think its really slow when u've to sort 500 devices after an autodiscover, also i think it should be easy to program an multi-move since shift+ctrl Click already works in WinGui.

best regards

Created on Jan 25, 2011 10:20:17 AM

Votes:

are there any news on this function? should not be that hard. is it still on the wishlist? thx

Created on Jan 3, 2012 11:28:13 AM

Votes:

It's on the wishlist but not scheduled for a fixed version or date. Sorry.

Created on Jan 4, 2012 1:07:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this going to be added? this would save a lot of time.

Created on Sep 12, 2012 6:45:44 PM

Votes:

Hi,
this is still on the wishlist but no ETA yet. Sorry.
Best regards

Created on Sep 13, 2012 7:16:35 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Soon its´s Xmas and i´m renewing my wishlist. I wish for bulk move for devices in AJAX GUI. And of course bulk move for drag and drop in the enterprise console. I had to move only 40 devices by hand, one by one at a speed that is very frustrating. Please implement drag & drop as we are used to and as fast as possible (it is very irritating when the item that is moved disappears immediately). thx and keep up the good work!

Created on Dec 4, 2012 8:34:45 AM

Votes:

+1 for this "feature"

Created on Jan 2, 2013 5:06:07 PM

Votes:

This actually is possible in current canary builds, and should arrive in the stable branch within the next 4-6 weeks. Please bear with us.

Created on Jan 2, 2013 5:09:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on the availability of this feature?

Created on Aug 12, 2013 3:52:50 PM

Votes:

If you go to your Root group then select multiple devices by holding down control, you will be able to move them to other groups.

Created on Aug 12, 2013 8:07:45 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paessler Team,

I cannot move multiple devices to another group. I tried from both the Windows GUI and AJAX interfaces.

On the web interface (Management Tab for Root), I hold down the Control key and select multiple devices, drag them into another group but prtg does not allow me to move. Also tried selecting several devices, then right click, but if I select the "Move" option I only can move one device (this option appears only if I hold down the control key, select the devices then stop holding the control key).

On the Enterprise Console I tried the same procedures but with no luck.

I am using a registered version of PRTG (ver. 14.1.8.1371), on chrome (ver. 33.0.1750.117 m) and using the PRTG Admin account (default account).

Thank you.

Created on Mar 20, 2014 10:24:07 PM

Votes:

Would it be possible to reboot the core service on the PRTG server and see if that behavior stops? If not, do you get any kind of an error when this happens?

Created on Mar 21, 2014 1:51:30 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paessler Team,

I apologize for the late response. I was able to move several devices through the web interface after a Chrome upgrade (ver 33.0.1750.154 m). However , it is still not possible from the Windows GUI.

Fortunately, being able to do it from the web interface is enough, but it would be good to have the GUI option too. By the way, I did not get any kind of error when trying to move the devices (from both GUI or web).

Thank you.

Created on Apr 8, 2014 9:49:10 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

FYI as this was the first result of a search for "move multiple devices":

In version 15.1.15.2022+ (tested using Firefox, Chrome)

Go to Group Root (Devices > All) Select the "Management" Tab You should now be able to select multiple devices by clicking on them when holding down "CTRL". Drag to the new group.

Be aware that the red arrow indicates where the devices will be "dropped", take care to put exactly in the correct place.

HTH.

Created on Apr 16, 2015 10:24:08 AM

Votes:

Hi Paessler-Team,

moving multiple objects is still a "challenge" with MultiEdit, CTRL-Key aso. if you have a large installation with lots of devices in one group and you want to move them to their final groups. especially the selection of the new location (...red arrow...) is really difficult...

It would be nice if you can select the objects (e.g. after a search or via Devices->Device List....) and move all of them with right button and choose "move to other group"...no drag&drop, no "red arrow of death" :-)

Are there any plans to implement this in the near future ?!?

regards René

Created on May 26, 2015 11:17:29 AM

Votes:

Dear Rene

If you multi-select some objects and then right-click on one of them, you can use the option MoveTo Other Group.

Created on May 26, 2015 1:11:23 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 26, 2015 1:11:45 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We really need the multi select and move option!

We tried to use the do multi select in the device list, but if you click on on item and choose move to other group this only move the clicked item and not the whole selection! please fix this.

Created on Aug 12, 2015 9:00:47 AM

Votes:

Dear Wizzbit

You are right, with the context menu, only the primary selected item is moved.

If you multi-select devices or groups of the same level in the hierarchy, you can use the mouse drag&drop to move them.

If you do this for sensors however, you create sensor clones.

Created on Aug 12, 2015 11:54:03 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I tried but this is not possible in the device list?? there is nog drag and drop to move multiple devices.....

We really need to have a move option for multiple devices, if this option is added to the multi select menu on top of the device list it's done.

Created on Aug 12, 2015 3:02:44 PM

Votes:

Dear Wizzbit

Multi-select device movement is available on the "management" tab of the device tree. The feature is not available in the device list.

Created on Aug 12, 2015 3:25:54 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Arne,

Please see the comment from Rene Kertscher @ May 26, 2015 11:17:29 AM

This option from the management tab is very painfull to use, when you have more then 150 devices you can't scrolll and move the items, the red arrow is very hard to drop in the correct group......

could there be an option to just select and choose move to group?

Created on Aug 12, 2015 7:27:08 PM

Votes:

Dear Wizzbit

The request for multi-selection moves in the device list is noted. For the time being, the management tab with the drag&drop method is the only way to move multiple objects at the same time.

Created on Aug 13, 2015 9:05:39 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 13, 2015 9:06:41 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greetings,

Has this basic-functionality issue been rectified yet? As of version 16.1.22.2657, I cannot reliably move multiple devices using either the Ajax-based web mgmt or the WinGui app. The WinGui app tells me that I cannot drag&drop multiple devices, and the web mgmt still has the same behavior noted 6 years and 8 versions ago.

I have tried every single suggestion here, and the "selected best answer" just does not work.

Created on Mar 24, 2016 2:25:34 PM

Votes:

Minor correction to my last post.

A) It absolutely does work better in Firefox and Chrome. B) The multi-move function can be sketchy. It would seem that the issue everyone probably struggles with is the change in cursor interface:

Multi-arrow cross - seems to not want to move devices occasionally Pointy-finger - seems to move devices as intended

Both work ok in the Ajax interface. WinGui issue still stands.

Created on Mar 24, 2016 2:33:24 PM

Votes:

I tested it in Chrome, multi-select works provided you are multi-select objects of the same hierarchical position. There is an issue in the Enterprise Console, I need more information from the developer about that. This will take some days.

Created on Mar 24, 2016 5:30:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear SMalik

I got confirmation, the Enterprise Console does not support multi-selection to move other groups.

About the webinterface, you need to expand the target group first to insert. You cannot just drag the selection onto a collapsed node.

Created on Mar 25, 2016 10:33:41 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Amazing that 5 years have passed and there is no solution to this. The managemente multi-move is almost unusable, it doesn't move anything, or it places the items where it wants. And if you have 200 devices in a group you have to manually click everyone to "try" to move them.

Come on developers, i don't think is too difficult.

Created on Apr 3, 2017 6:31:39 PM

Votes:

Dear dmayan

The multi-selection can be a bit fiddly, but the feature is there.

We continue to work on the interface, but for the foreseeable future we have identified other parts in need of an overhaul.

Created on Apr 4, 2017 12:49:24 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 4, 2017 12:50:08 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I asked about this issue over a year ago and see that it has been relegated to low-priority. I cannot disagree more. This problem is the most basic part of a network monitoring solution! Grouping like-items to be monitored should work much better than this (and does in competitive products). I really like PRTG, but with thousands of devices to monitor and notify on, this is getting to be outrageous. Just fixing the "move to group" function to work for more than a single device would be a significant improvement. The feature being there is worthless if it is not intuitive and functional.

For what it's worth, I am on the latest stable build.

Created on Aug 9, 2017 3:18:09 PM

Votes:

Dear SMalik

Admittedly it is quite some work to move a lot of single devices. Ideally, devices should be put in (sub)groups so that only those groups need to be moved.

I agree that the current system is not ideal. When I have to do re-arrangements in installations and there is no good sub-grouping, it is a chore. With that being said, there is no easy solution from PRTG's side. Addressing this has deeper implications. For the time being, said (sub)grouping is the best solution to save work later when the device tree branches have to be re-arranged.

Created on Aug 10, 2017 1:43:12 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear Arne Seifert

Please send this up the chain to your superiors. This is, quite simply, one of the most time consuming activities in PRTG, and a major turn off for me. I want to recommend this product because I love so much of how it functions, but I cannot due to this one, seemingly simple issue. I see your explanation about it having deeper implications; I request that PRTG devs address those issues, and make re-arrangements within PRTG so much less of a chore.

Thank you for your time.

Created on Aug 12, 2017 4:42:28 PM

Votes:

Dear MMueller

I informed the product manager.

There is little to add regarding the current status. We plan to address the device tree management in some parts, but not this year. However we do agree that the device tree management should be improved in order to allow manage larger installations in a more useful way.

Created on Aug 14, 2017 12:51:13 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 14, 2017 12:51:56 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Now that we are in 2018 is there a status update on this feature request?

Created on Mar 2, 2018 3:38:19 PM

Votes:

The context-menu option will only move one device, but Ctrl-click to select multiple devices in order to move them via drag&drop should work.

Implementing other options is something we want to do, but there are more important interface questions to address first. I understand that it can look strange that we don't simply implement a requested and useful feature. We have to do the things in the right order if we want to do it right. For the next releases, we work on other parts of PRTG which also need our attention, please don't expect additional options to move multiple devices soon. Again, the the Ctrl-click / drag&drop option is available.

Created on Mar 5, 2018 10:33:43 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 5, 2018 10:34:46 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are on Version 18.1.37 and whenever I select multiple devices and start moving them I get the error message "sorry you can not drag&&drop multiple objects (except for multiple sensors of one device).

Any idea why is that?

thank you

Created on Mar 7, 2018 2:23:01 AM

Votes:

I checked with the 18.1.37, latest release. It works, using the web interface.

Created on Mar 7, 2018 12:34:26 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

this feature is requested since 2010 and PRTG still did not get it right ? the move from the menu doesnt work with multiple objects throw erros the ctrl and drag&drog is very buggy and super sluggish the Windows GUI cannot darg&drop multiples aswell

8 years for a simpe feature that works in almost every single software out there ?

Created on Jul 27, 2018 11:56:35 AM

Votes:

Dear tfuk,

as alternative for the the web interface's management tab, you can use the new desktop app. It supports to move multiple devices at once, either with drag and drop, or Ctrl-X – Ctrl-V.

Created on Jul 27, 2018 1:44:25 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.