What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring printer with snmpwalk

Votes:

I want to monitor a sequence of OID's of printers. As of yet monitoring a range of OID's (i.e. 1.3.6.1.4.1.1602.1.5.5.3.1.1.5.x where x is anything between 1 to 65535) is not possible in the default PRTG sensors.

So I wrote a Powershell script utilizing snmpwalk.exe something along the lines of:

snmpwalk.exe -L n: -v 1 -c $CommunityString $PrinterIP SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.1602.1.5.5.3.1.1.5 | Where-Object { $_ -like "*The waste toner container is full."""}

This will return a result when the "waste toner container is full" error is on the display of the printer.

Now I want to create a sensor that will generate a error when this snmpwalk gives output. Is this possible within PRTG?

container printer snmp-toner waste

Created on Mar 10, 2017 11:57:20 AM

Last change on Mar 13, 2017 11:42:47 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

1 Reply

Votes:

Hey nhoksbergen,

Thank you very much for your KB-posting.

This can be done, using our native EXE/Script sensor.

Kindly ensure that the returned data is in the following format: value:message

• Value has to be a 64-bit integer or float. It will be used as the resulting value for this sensor (for example, bytes, milliseconds) and stored in the database.
  • The message can be any string (maximum length: 2000 characters).
  • The exit code of the EXE has to be one of the following values:
Value    Description
0        OK
1        WARNING
2        System Error (e.g. a network/socket error)
3        Protocol Error (e.g. web server returns a 404)
4        Content Error (e.g. a web page does not contain a required word)

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Mar 13, 2017 12:02:27 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.