What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need help with customizing error messages

Votes:

I'm trying to figure out if I can customize what an error message says when it pops up. I've taken a look at the lookups, but don't see any error message information. So, for an example...

The interface is disconnected: ifOperStatus=down (2) (code: PE058)

How can I change that output? What I'm looking to do is to include a link in the error message to a troubleshooting document for our NOC people.

Thanks!

error-message lookups troubleshooting

Created on Mar 10, 2017 5:35:32 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Justin,
we appreciate your contact.

Lookups would be the right place to look for, but the SNMP Traffic sensor is one of our oldest sensors and precedes the concept of lookups, it only supports internal error codes which unfortunately are not customizable. You might want to add additional information about troubleshooting to the sensor's or device's comments field.

Alternatively, create Custom Table Sensors to poll among other things, the ifOperStatus. This will allow you to put together a custom lookup with any message that you want. It will also provide you further details into the ifOper Status, for other statuses like:

• up(1)
  • down(2)
  • testing(3)
  • unknown(4)
  • dormant(5)
  • notPresent(6)
  • lowerLayerDown(7)

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Mar 13, 2017 9:22:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi, can I customize the form error messages when it’s required to fill that particular field? I mean, now I can customize the thank you page, the fields languages and so on, but the error messages I couldn’t quite find it yet. Can you help me? Thanks!

Created on May 27, 2018 2:00:37 AM

Votes:

Hello zimou13,
thank you for your reply.

If you're attempting to "translate" PRTG, please refer to the language files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\language\

These are XML-Encoded files that contain all possible strings in PRTG. These can be modified to completely change what gets displayed in the interface, but please keep in mind that:

1. This is totally unsupported.
  2. If you rename one of the standard files, it will get overwritten when you update PRTG. In this case, consider creating a new file like english_new.lng or similar, so that it doesn't get overwritten. The name also has to be updated within the file itself on line 2: "name="english_new"
  3. When working with a "custom" languages file, please keep in mind that every new PRTG version will introduced new strings, so you will continually need to update/work on your custom language file.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on May 28, 2018 6:10:59 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.