What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Deactivate or delete Channel from Sensor

Votes:

I know where are already some Questions regarding this topic and its not possible to delete a channel from a sensor. I found a topic which says to configure the threasholds in the channel and not in the sensor, but what should i do with Sensors like "SNMP NetApp Systemzustand" or "SSL Zertifikatssensor"?

SNMP NetApp Systemzustand: there are already no threasholds on the sensor, only for the channels. But one channel "Gesamtzustand Dateisystem" showes Error "Full". I cant change a threashold for this. This channel isnt important, but the sensor is red.

SSL Zertifikatssensor: i dont want to check the revocation status, but i want to see the days to expire. The Sensor is always in warning state. How can i set it to green?

Regards Michael Fink

channel deacivate sensor

Created on Mar 13, 2017 2:34:54 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Michael,
thank you for your KB-Post and inquiry.

Essentially, sensor alerts can be split into 3 main categories:

Alerts Triggered by Limits

Specifically, the Upper/Lower Warning/Error limits in the channels settings.

SensorMessage
WMI Memory25 % (Percent Available Memory) is below the warning limit of 30 % in Percent Available Memory

Alerts Triggered by Lookups

Lookups are associated to a channel and map a value to a status/message.

SensorMessage
SSL Certificate SensorError by lookup value 'Yes' in Revoked

Internal Sensor Errors

This errors are independent from everything else, they can be due to a configuration in the sensor or because of a general monitoring error.

SensorMessage
PingRequest timed out (ICMP error # 11010)
HTTP AdvancedError: String not found [user name]

To discern between the cause of the error, head to the sensor's overview and review the message. Both cases that you've mentioned appear to be caused by lookups, you'll be able to confirm this by reviewing the message of the sensor, if it contains the term lookup, the next step is to locate the channel that is causing the alert, this will be part of the message as well. Specifically in your case, you can do the following:

SNMP NetApp System Health Sensor
  1. Open the Sensor
  2. Locate the FileSystem Overall channel, click it to open it's settings.
  3. Set the lookup to "none".
  4. Save

Please note that a failure may be imminent, disabling lookups is only recommended when you're absolutely sure of what you're doing and if you're certain that you will not miss alerts because of this.

SSL Certificate Sensor
  1. Open the Sensor
  2. Locate the Revoked channel, click it to open it's settings.
  3. Set the lookup to "none".
  4. Save

More Information

It's also possible to modify/customize your lookups, this way you can modify the behavior of multiple sensors (caution advised):

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Mar 14, 2017 3:19:44 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.