What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Netflow Graph Options

Votes:

We are just trying out PRTG, and the primary functionality we need is for collecting Netflows. Is there a way to view the "Top Talkers," "Top Connections," and "Top Protocols" as a line or area chart? The line/area charts on the NetFlow sensor appear to show the level of data coming from the device to PRTG, and not the actual level being reported. Those charts would be perfect if they reflected the flow across the router.

chart graphs netflow-v9 toplists

Created on Mar 13, 2017 10:11:18 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

I'm afraid there are no further graphing options besides the ones already presented in the sensor. The data you see is what the flow sending device reported in its flow packets. You can enable "Write stream data" in the sensor's "Settings" tab to take a look what data was actually coming from the sending device.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 14, 2017 3:12:32 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have one other question. When we reboot the server, the TopLists data clears out completely. Is there a way to prevent this? I don't mind a gap when the server is actually rebooting.

Created on Mar 31, 2017 2:09:46 AM

Votes:

I have one additional question: the charts that show "Live Data", "2 Days", "30 Days", etc. for NetFlow sensors appears to be showing the data with the wrong label for the vertical axis. For example, if I download a massive file over HTTP, it will show up as "25 kbit/s," when I know that the actual speed is probably closer to 25 mbit/s. Am I misinterpreting how the data represented by this chart?

Created on Mar 31, 2017 2:30:38 AM

Votes:

This is not supposed to happen (disappearing Toplist data after restarting). Please send us a support bundle and also screenshots regarding the issue with the axis. Wait for the auto-reply after sending in the bundle and reply then to it with the screenshots, that way it's all being kept together.

Thank you & Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 31, 2017 3:03:12 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks! I just submitted the support bundle and screen shot. Regarding my second question, how should I read the vertical axis number for the "Live Data", "2 Days", "30 Days", etc. charts? (see my earlier response for more info.)

Created on Mar 31, 2017 10:01:52 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.