What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Manually Specify Sniffer Sensor Graph Vertical Axis

Votes:

I have a packet sniffer sensor that monitors the traffic going through my 50Mbit/s Metro-E connection which displays the traffic broken down by protocol. When the total is displayed on a graph, the maximum value of the graph's vertical axis is based on the highest spike shown on the graph. I would like the vertical axis to be fixed at 50Mbit/s. For individual channels, I can specify a spike filter, but there is no spike filter for the total.

Similarly, when the sensor total is displayed using gauges, the maximum value of the gauge is based on the historical maximum value, with no spike filter. I want the maximum value of the gauge to be 50Mbit/s. Similarly, I want the maximum value of the individual channel gauges to also be 50Mbit/s.

Is this possible to do?

gauge graph prtg sensor sniffer

Created on Mar 16, 2017 1:51:13 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear bdaly

The total channel is a sum channel and cannot have a spike filter, as the spike filter applies only for channels with their own historic data.

The gauges cannot be manually scaled. You can use the spike filter to at least filter out unreasonably high values, but you cannot set a fix maximum value.

In both cases, we recognize that the current solution is limited, however it covers most common use cases. While we continue to work on PRTG's interface, we are currently working on other parts which we deem more important.

Created on Mar 16, 2017 5:13:36 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Paessler needs to add manual scaling capabilities. Paessler also needs to configure maximum circuit capability so that trend graphs may be generated based on max capacity, not just max bandwidth usage. (I have a customer who wants this ability.)

Created on Jul 30, 2019 5:11:37 PM

Votes:

Dear Dustin,

manual Y-axis scaling is possible in the channel options form, "Vertical Axis Scaling" / "Manual scaling".

Traffic sensors have the option to set "Data" to "Display in percent of maximum", which is based on maximum capacity.

Created on Jul 31, 2019 2:09:14 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.